Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How does this processor speed rate against a 3.2Ghz Processor

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jackiefrost9 
#1 ·
I need to order a new desktop for my office to replace a 3 year old machine that runs at 3.2 Ghz. The new machines that Dell offers only has this option:

Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6700 (8MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB)

I don't think there is a standard measuring stick that is used to compare all the processor speeds that I can find or understand. I work with CAD programs that use up a lot of resources and I typically get the fastest available and max the RAM. With all the latest software that I have to install, I need the new machines to run faster than the ones they replace.

Can anyone tell me how this 2.66GHz processor compares to my current machine? I don't have the exact specs for it, this is what it lists on the dell support site for my system - PROCESSOR, 80532K, 3.2GHZ, 1M, 533, M0.

#2 ·
Pentium4s were always slower than AMD32 & AMD64 chips - execpt for rendering - and the AMDs were about 1.0~1.4Ghz lower in speed. Clock rate is not everything.

You have selected a QUAD core CPU, which may or maynot be the best if your software doesn't yet support multi-core CPUs.

Now, I am linking to a CPU chart and selected the QX6700 and a prescott 3.0 (Because its a newer version with DDR2, vs. your older system)
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=604&model2=462&chart=187

its a Photoshop test, as they don't have any CAD testing, but play with this benchmarks. If you choose the Multitasking benchmark - you'll see the QX does the job in 2:37 vs about 8mins on a PC simular to yours.

Now, because many programs don't don't use QuadCore unless youre running a LOT of other things in the background - the E6700 can be JUST as fast for half the price.

Also, with a system not built by Dell - you can do a bit of overclocking and squeeze another 10% out of the CPU. (Overclock the 2.66Ghz to 3.2Ghz without messing with voltage or cooling. But maxed out at 3.4Ghz) ;)

#3 ·
I just ran MastercamX on my machine yesterday and the people I was running it for were very impressed. I have the middle-of-the-line version on the cpu you picked out.
I can tell you right now that it will blow you away.
I'm assuming you're comparing it to a Pentium 4 or a Pentium D. You can't really compare the two. The one you picked out will blow the old out of the water.
I don't know about about others, but the version of mastercam I used was not multi-core ready, but who cares? launch mulitple programs, set them to each run on a different core, and verify 4 things at once.

#4 ·
a couple of things
any increase in performance of a cad program will be dependent on the program, logic would dictate that a higher performing cpu ie the C2D over the P4 will make your cad program run better, however with most 3D cad the graphics card and the drivers play a very larger role in performance also.
in my case going from a A64-3500+ to a C2D E6300 all other things being equal, I saw really no noticeable difference running Acad2002 3D solid modeling with file sizes in the 30 to 50 mb range.
CAD programs seem to really like a ton of ram and middle to high end gfx cards with drivers designed for the program. Comparing CAD programs with the same logic as 3D games doesnt quite work IMO. You can try looking at some benchmarks in Catalyst magazine or similar sources.
The best way to tell is to have someone set up a test workstation for you to try real world testing.

#5 ·
You will need XP pro in order to use both cores of Core2 Duo. Many manufacturers are putting XP home with the option to upgrade to Vista to save money. Another words unless you have XP pro or Vista you will not be able to take full advantage of both cores that Core 2 Duo offers.

#7 ·
Jerold said:
thanks for all the info.

It sounds like a worthy processor. It is just wierd that Dell only offers this one processor for this XPS 710 system. I am going to max out the RAM and look into a better video card and I should be ok.
This chart will show you the comparison.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Just plug the two cpu's you want to compare and the benchmark being a graphic or a word program.
keep in mind that its not about the "G" as in 3G or 4G anymore. Its all about how much work a CPU can get done in a given time. just because its a lesser value of "G" does not mean its slower. The slowest Core 2 Duo will beat the fastest P4 any almost every test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.