1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how does this site know it's still me?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ferngully, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ferngully

ferngully Thread Starter

hi all,

I got banned from a public forum for arguing but I want to join it again. They blocked my IP address.

I removed my cache, restarted my modem and my IP address changed as I have a dynamic IP address.

But after re-registering, after a few days they have blocked me claiming I am a previously banned user, which of course I am.

But how do they know that when my IP address is now different? I registered with a different email and username.

2. oksteve

oksteve

IP addresses can stay the same for a while.
    Or maybe your being watched..lol

If your that desperate to get back in, email the Mod and say sorry and promise to be good for ever more.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

1. Cookies

2. You sound familiar on the forum, they looked at your IP and is was in the same ip range as the banned one, so they made a lucky guess.

4. ferngully

ferngully Thread Starter

lol,

well I definitely know my IP changed cos I checked it first.

Someone said something about they could check my hostmask, whats that?

5. ferngully

ferngully Thread Starter

defo not cookies, I cleared them before rejoining.

so is it just based on my posting style etc and they just assume I am the same even though my email address and IP are different?

whats the range of the IP they ban then? when my IP changes only the first number stays the same the rest are all different

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

so is it just based on my posting style etc and they just assume I am the same even though my email address and IP are different?

like I said a lucky guess.

Normally they don't ban an IP range, depending on the forum and where its members are, your banned IP may be in a unique range leased by your ISP, so they made an educated guess it was you again.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We don't help with getting around valid restrictions that a site may have. Don't ask for such information agian.

Mumbodog, you are making a real habit of advising people on lots of stuff we don't permit here. Second time today, right? Maybe you would benefit by a review of the rules.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice