1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How easy is it to find RD-RAM at a reasonable price?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wgreene, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

My nephew suggested recently that I buy some extra memory for my Dell Dimensiion 8250 computer, which is a couple of years old. Knowing that I have Rambus RD-RAM, he searched the Net and told me RD-RAM was both harder to find and more expensive than he expected.

He went to PrimeWatch and found only two websites which had RD-RAM available. Then he went to eBay and told me I could pay $400 for 1G of CD1066 RD-RAM or $256 for 1G of PC 800 RD-RAM.

I have two slots of 256 RD-RAM -- PC 1066, unless I'm mistaken -- which means I have two open slots. My nephew told me I could fill the two open slots with 512 PC 1066, which would give me 1.5 G total. Or, he said, my PC could hold up to 2 G of PC 800 RD-RAM. (All of this terminology is new to me, but my nephew appears to understand it quite well.)

I remember hearing a while back that the price of memory was dropping rapidly, but my nephew told me that seems to have changed. Is it possible that I could find better prices for RD-RAM than those shown on eBay?

2. 1069

I have to ask - why do you think you need extra ram? Is your machine running slow? Are you having problems?

To pay $256 + for ram I would need a very good reason for the outlay - unless your nephew wishes to play some serious games at your expense?

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.:)

I recently purchased a Nikon film scanner, and I've noticed that whenever I use it my computer slows down dramatically. A Nikon technician told me that the additional memory should clear up this problem. I mentioned this to my nephew and that's when he decided to look for the availability/price of RD-RAM.

I must admit that I, myself, have a limited knowledge of computers and how they work, so I often feel the need to defer to others who presumably know more than I.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Well those prices are right in line for what RDRAM costs, my question to you is what kind of PC do you have and are you sure you can put a gig in?

The catch with RDRAM is you MUST buy in pairs, so make sure you are buying 2 sticks of 512Mb for that gig set.

5. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 8250, Intel Pentium 4 w/120 GB HD (currently 89 GB free space) and 512 MB of installed memory. Service Pack 2 is installed and I run Windows XP Professional.

6. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Using my Dell Service Tag Number, my nephew went to the Dell website and checked to see how much memory my computer would be able to accommodate. He told me I would be allowed either 1.5 G of PC1066 or 2 G of PC800, and that whatever I might buy would need to be purchased as a matched pair.

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Good lad your nephew, did his homework!

How many slots was that through?

If you have four slots, you can buy another set of 256, upgrade it buy a total of 512, and get the gig of RAM you were looking for.

Might be able to make off with a good deal if you can go that route
    http://www.upgrade-solution.com/detail.cfm?show=yes&PID=191&add=yes

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Why don't you go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html and download and install EVEREST HOME EDITION.

You can check the physical memory utilization and see how much RAM you are using. After you install EVEREST click on motherboard, then click on memory and it will tell you the % of utilization of the physical memory.

My standard rule of thumb is if the utilization is 75% or less I don't add RAM. If it is more than 75% I add RAM. :)

9. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'll certainly look into your suggestions. I'm off to work now, but will return here later tonight.

10. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Yes, I have four slots in all. Thanks for the link.

11. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I'm not sure what it all means, but when I booted up my PC tonight and went straight to EVEREST > Motherboard > Memory -- without opening any programs -- the Physical Memory reading was 86%. And when I ran Nikon Scan the Physical Memory rate went up to 99%, at which point all four Nikon Scan windows turned solid white and then very slowly returned to their normal appearance.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Looks like you are using all your physical memory. Add another 512mb and you should be OK. :)

13. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

That sounds reasonable to me. Now it's merely a matter of scraping up some extra money. Thanks.:)

14. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Glad we could help!
    Hopefully this solves your problem here and gives you the performance you need.

15. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Last night I went to eBay and used PayPal to pay for 1 G of RD-RAM from an eBay member. It appeared that all had gone well, but this morning I recieved the following e-mail from the member:

Hi
    You pay for item-but you not registered user
    What you want?

This is my very first experience with eBay. I had never used eBay at all until last night, but I am registered, both with eBay and with PayPal, so I don't understand the member's question. He/She acknowledges that I've paid for the item, so I can't figure out why I'm being asked, "What you want?" Very obviously, this person already knows what I want! Anyhow, I'll respond to the member and hope that the transaction will go through successfully. In the meantime, I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who may have an idea as to why I received this e-mail. Perhaps someone here familiar with eBay can understand exactly what this person is asking and why they're asking it.:confused:

Thank you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/442869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice