How exactly do you hook up the Router to Cable Modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sbvr6

Im about to purchase a router for my house's new cable i-net connection. They charge 14.95 per extra isp, so i thought this would be the best way to do it. I got 2 questions. Now when the DHCP server onboard the router assigns ip address, are these unique to the network. I mean, when i video conference with my family on Netmeeting, and i give them the ip addy that shows up on my "ipconfig" utility, will it ring on all the other computers attached, or will it only ring on my computer. I know routers are usally good at splitting signals...but how good? Also, alot of routers claim to be say 4-port, but isnt one of these ports already taken up by the cable from the modem to the router, so in essence 3 avail. ports. Or would i be able to purchase a cross over cable. Plug one end in the modem and plug the other end in the "wan" or that seperate slot in the router, and have the 4 computer slots in the router for 4 computers? Whats the best way. Speed is sort of an issue, but im runing on a 14.4 cell connection right now, so anything will be better. Please let me know the best way to use a router. I have 5 computers i think that want to connect, but the only other routers i see after 4 port are 8 port. Please Help

In a netmeeting call, don't give them the ip that you get from ipconfig, this is your network IP and if you give this out, no one will be able to connect to you unless they're on YOUR network. You'll need to give them your public IP address (see your router config for info on how to find this out). Most routers should be smart enough to figure out which computer it should go to, worst case, the docs should show you how to route things like this, or call tech support, they should be able to walk you through it if the router won't do it by default.

I don't know exactly what kind of cable modem you have, but all the ones i've seen don't require a crossover cable to connect to the WAN port, as this is what it's meant for, your cable modems, and general users don't even know about x-over cables, so they probably flipped the port to make it as easy as possible. Hope this helps

-omegax-

Del

An easy way to get your IP address is to go to Start > Run and type in command. You should get a dos window. If you have Win 2000 or XP type cmd and click ok.
In the dos window, type "tracert yahoo.com" without the quotes.
The second line should be your Public IP or the IP address you need to use for anyone outside your network to find you.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can connect the router to a switch, and connect as many computers as you like. I have the SMC 4 port Barricade, and it's connected to an 8 port switch, and there are 8 computers and a couple of print servers all plugged into that mess. You shouldn't need any crossover cables for a standard lash-up, all standard cables.

As far as your Netmeeting issue, you'll be giving external people the IP address of the cable modem, not your local machine's IP address. In the router, you have to allow incoming connections on the proper ports to your machine to get Netmeeting to run.

sbvr6

Ok, well which is it for netmeeting, public address or cable modem addy. Also i have heard with the the netgear rp614 router, which i just bought, that you cant go on America Online with it. Even using the TCP/IP connection feature aol has. Is this true? If so, any settings or anything you can change so you can log onto america online?

Del

In tracert, the first line should have an IP like 192 something
the second is the one you want to use, will begin with something like 20 or 65, it will not be a 192.x.x.x IP.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't use AOL, but I do have a client that has AOL, and his wife has CIS. Both of these services worked flawlessly through an SMC Barricade router using the ISP connection option. From all I hear, steer clear of AOL8, it's been trashing people pretty regularly. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online