1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How? Export Thunderbird Mail to Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Cerviperus, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cerviperus

Cerviperus Thread Starter

I have a user who has been mandated to switch to our corporate Exchange server and Microsoft Oulook. I was able to convert the address book over with no problems, but I'm struggling with the mail. Is there a way to export messages from Thunderbird (1.0.5) to Outlook 2000? If not, we're going to have him upgraded to Outlook 2003 in the next week or so (hopefully), and I'm hoping it will make the transition that much easier.

From what I've read, Thunderbird doesn't have a true "export" function, that it leaves it up to the importing application. However, I have found no way to tell Outlook where to look for the mail files (which in Thunderbird have "no extension").

Any help? Thanks in advance.

2. Kitch

Kitch

Found this on Thunderbird's FAQ's if it's any use........

How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?

Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.

Your mail files are inside your profile (see the Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq#q2.10

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Kitch, I was looking at that same article, have you had any success with it?

The Eudora option has not worked for me yet. :(

Maybe it would be easier to just download Eudora, Import the messages into Eudora then Import the messages into Outlook from Eudora. :rolleyes:

I'll try that tonight to see if it works.

4. Kitch

Kitch

No, I can't say I've tried it.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Has not worked for me yet either, I'll let you know how it works using Eudora.

6. Cerviperus

I too read that on their site and didn't have much luck. There's where I verifed that Thunderbird doesn't have a true "export" function. I'm hoping that once we get him upgraded to Outlook 2003 it will work out... but I'd still like to find a solution now, as who knows how long it will take our PO to go through for the license.

7. Cerviperus

-=bump=-

Anyone have any other suggestions?

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

I downloaded Eudora:
    http://www.eudora.com/download/

Using the Free version with ads, I was able to Import the mail files from Thunderbird into Eudora.

The twist was it would not see the actual mail files, so I used the prefs.js file.
    Using the Import function in Eudora, I specified the mail program as being Netscape Messenger and browsed to the prefs.js file in the Thunderbird Mail directory.

I was then able to Import the files from Eudora into Outlook Express.

Attempting to Import the files from Eudora into Outlook 2003 resulted in "The Mail folder could not be opened".

After Importing the files from Eudora into Outlook Express.
    From Outlook Express, I Exported the files into Outlook 2003.

There were a few drawbacks.
    Eudora created a folder for each file it Imported, I removed the folders to keep the clutter from being passed along.

I had several Profiles in Thunderbird, with each additional Import the previous Import was added to the next.
    Import one Profile at a time, then remove the files from Eudora.
    The Import appeared to Import the files that were in the Account directory in the Profiles directory rather than the Local Folders directory.

It was a bit complicated but *may* be faster than saving the messages as .eml files one at a time. :eek:

9. joannemac

joannemac

I'm having some problems with this procedure.

1) my local folders don't import to Eudora
    2) my inbox keeps freezing in Eudora (I've tried compacting before the import, same result -- sent box & other folders are okay)
    3) Outlook Express changes all the dates on the emails it does import to yesterday

Has anyone solved any of these issues? or have any ideas?

JoAnne

10. rdoyleusa

rdoyleusa

joannemac,

On the issue of dates... I found this was a problem on the final step (converting to Outlook 2003) and was not a problem with Outlook Express. But I encountered the same thing. If you sort your folder on sent datestamp instead of received datestamp, I think you will be happy with the result. Typically these values will not vary by more than a few seconds or minutes, so your intended sort order can be restored.

Local folders... copy to account folder in Thunderbird before importing.

Inbox freezing... too big??? (No other ideas.)

I appreciate the instructions from EAFiedler... it got my close enough that I could make it work. Other than the date issue already described, my main complaint is that I had a lot of "duplicate" deleting to do in Outlook Express to end up with the desired result. My .js file from Thunderbird maintained copies of many files I had permanently deleted and also many files from accounts that I had gotten rid of long ago. I didn't expect it and it was a little scary. I guess Mozilla wants to give Thunderbird users a recovery path in the future.

I have been on Thunderbird, Firefox, and OpenOffice for over a year. That was longer than my previous 2 week foray to RedHat Linux... But it was a pain to not be among the masses. Plus I still had to use the Microsoft tools at the office and everywhere else. So I'm going back to IE, Outlook, and MSOffice for the sake of simplicity even though it'll probably cost me $100 a year on average... The only thing I plan to keep is Firefox for specific "sets" of pages I works with. Tabbed browsing is a truly superior feature.

11. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

12. luisfigo

luisfigo

13. simon4TK

simon4TK

The easiest way I found to move mail from Thunderbird to Outlook was to select all the mails in each mailbox, use Message/Forward As/Attachment to send them to the mail account I had created in Outlook (the same as in Thunderbird as it happens). In Outlook, I selected the attachments on the newly arrived mail and dragged them into the appropriate mailbox.

14. nimd4

nimd4

Ah lol, they forgot to mention that .. useless software :( Hopefully Firefox won't go down the drain (2), which seems pretty much the direction it's heading .. Anyway, tnx 4 the link luisfigo !! :) (y)

15. nimd4

nimd4

.. btw make this sticky, mad important thread here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice