1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How far can Comcast modem drive ethernet line?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by user007, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user007

user007 Thread Starter

Hi - I have a stock Comcast Aris modem/router that I have located in my office. I have a hardwired ethernet line out of the back of the router into the wall plate connection. The wall plate goes to a patch panel in the basement (about 25'). From there I use a jumper to connect to another port in the patch panel which goes to another wall outlet in the kitchen (about 35'). When I connect a device to that wall outlet - I get no ethernet connection. We have tested each run and the patch panel separately and the runs, connectors, and patch panel all seem to be error free. This leads me to the conclusion that the modem cannot drive the line thru 4 connectors and with that length of cable. I have successfully run a shorter run (family room only 10' from patch panel) in this set up but the the 35' run to the kitchen cannot seem to make a connection. Any idea if this makes sense that the modem cannot drive this set up? Thanks for your thoughts. I am going to try and buy some shielded jumpers/7' connector cables to see if that will help. Cannot change wiring in the walls.

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    It should be able to go 100m, so 35ft shouldn't be a problem. I'd suspect a problem with a connector or perhaps severe interference, although that seems unlikely to me for such a short run. I'd suggest some additional testing on each run.

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Please delineate the topology. You indicated Ethernet from ARRIS Cable Modem+Router to wall plate. There is cable run to a patch panel. What Ethernet Device, [ Make and Model Ethernet switch ] is used to distribute Ethernet to the patch panel ?

You can properly test the Ethernet cable runs with Sperry TT64202 tester. I have seen professional Electricians screw up Ethernet wiring. With this device each run and each Ethernet wall plate can be verified.
    [​IMG]

It will make sure all 4-pairs are properly wired and indicate what are not. You would not change the wiring in the walls. You change the wire connections at the RJ45 Wall Plate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice