1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How fast can I go?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by isawjess, Sep 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. isawjess

isawjess Thread Starter

Is there a way to test your connection speed? I just got a cable modem and so far have only been able to download files at about 40 kbps. I was getting 47-50 from my modem... needless to say I am a bit bummed. I know there are alot of variables such as server, time of day, #of other users etc.. I was hoping to find a site that might help me out.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.

Stan
    :confused:

2. brianF

brianF

go to www.speedguide.net and use the patch for registry tweaks

Then go to www.dslreports.com under the tools menu they have a couple of test servers that will test up and down. If your not a member you can only run one test every 24 hours. Pays to be a member.

generally with mine I get 250K+up and 1.4mps down.

3. frenat

frenat

Also, where are you seeing the 40 at. In windows, when connecting with a dial up modem, it shows the initial connect speed in kbps or kilobits per second, but when you download a file it shows the speed in kBps or kilobytes per second. So if you are seeing the speed of 40 kBps when downloading a file, then that is actually closer to 320 kbps for a connect speed.

4. isawjess

isawjess Thread Starter

Brian, thanks for those sites! DSLreports.com was a GREAT help. I used one of their tools and my connection is now 1700 kbps down and 600 kbps up.

Thanks again!

Stan
    :) :D :cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!