How fast is my hard drive (rpm)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Puritan

Does anyone know a utility that can tell me how fast my hard drive is?

Puritan

Yeah, it's 6.4 computer dealer's gigabytes (which puts it at 5.99 real 2^30 gigabytes)... maybe Quantum something? It came with my Gateway desktop, PII-266, that I bought four years ago.

Basically, I am just thinking of buying a new laptop, and I was looking at the hard drives that came with it, and I was wondering what my current hard drive's speed was so I could compare. (The above link didn't help, by the way, it was just an information page as far as I could tell...)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Chances are you have a 5400 spin....it could be 7200, but 4 years ago, more than likely 5400.....if you take a look at the model number on the top, you can enter it into the hard drive manufacturer's website and get the specs.....

Most laptops I've seen recently come with either 4200 or 5400 spins.

Puritan

Would 4200 rpm just be intolerably slow, thrashing all over the place? The computer I'm looking at comes with a 30 GB 4200 rpm or a 48 GB 5400 rpm drive, but the latter is $200 more expensive or so (no $30 GB 4200 rpm unfortunately).

Max19

Account Disabled
No, it's not that bad. Not having enough free drive space or enough RAM would cause significant thrashing. The difference in speed is definitely not worth $200.

Puritan

Well, it's not just speed, it's speed and a 60% increase in size for $200 more. Is that a good deal, do you think, or not?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'd say if you have the extra cash, and you plan on keeping it for a long time (if you don't change computers for the latest and greatest) then I'd say go for the 5400 and the larger drive.

I would give more thought to the brand of laptop that you are looking at........not all companies are created equal.

Just my two centavos. :)

Puritan

I'm probably going way off-topic here, but... I was thinking of getting a Dell Inspiron 8100. Everything I've read about it has given it good reviews, and Dell is a reliable company in general... does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should get it or if there's a better equivalent around?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You've got my vote on that one....looking at the 8100 myself right now.....

Great computer, great company! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online