1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How fast is Wireless N?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pr0wler, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pr0wler

pr0wler Thread Starter

I am moving out of my parents house and I will be using wireless N for my computer but I am worried that the speed won't be optimal. Will I have the same ping in online games as I have now with my wired connection? Can I stream live video like youtube HQ and stuff?

We're gonna have Shaw Cable and I'm on Windows XP if that helps. Thanks :)

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. Jason08

Jason08

I'm using Wireless N and I usually have 54MB and Excellent signal strength.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You will see a difference between any wireless connection and a wired connection, that's to be expected. If you have a solid 802.11n connection, the speed should be sufficient for any of the mentioned activities.

5. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Depends more on other factors. Primarily the download speed from ISP to Modem, type of connection, and how good the wiring.

Type og Wireless N, G, B will have very little effect.
    Wireless speed (bit transfer rate) is just between wireless nodes like your computer and the modem/router.
    for Wireless N to Wireless N about 300 Mbps
    for Wireless N to B or G about 54 Mbps

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Usually, the expectation for any wired connection whether it be a WAN or LAN link is that it is reliable and quick (depending on the type of connection we're talking about.) Wireless is unpredictable as many things can and do change in terms of the RF environment your wireless network exists in. So the only way you will know if you'll have any problems with a reliable connection via wireless and the resultant affect on latency is to set up the wireless network at your new place to see what happens.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You mean you see a 54Mb connection speed in the system tray. Note the small "b". That is not actual bandwidth. That's the theoretical maximum.

8. Jason08

Jason08

Yeah, I know it's byes. I guess I could have said "Mbps".

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809930