1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How fast should DSL connect at

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flyboy320, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

My father has an old IBM thinkpad (540 E I think), and is using a service from his local phone company for DSL. The modem connects to the laptop using a USB port. When it connects, XP reports that a network connection is present and is connnected at 10MBPS. Is this a "normal" speed to expect from this type of service, it just seems this is very slooow?

2. slawless

slawless

10 mbs is the network speed, the speed your computer is talking to the modem. networks are usually 10 or 100mbs. I think all broad band modems are 10mbs.

My DSL is 740kbs down and 128kbs up. some cable systems are 1500kbs down. 10mbs is 10000kbs so it will easily handle a broad band connection.

Steve L

3. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I was testing my cable speed, and I was getting around 2500kbps download, where as my dad was getting 100kbps. Sounds like for an extra 10 bucks a month (for the cable), might as well go with cable, and get a 25 times increase in speed....

4. pronute

pronute

And it also depends on how far from the DSL staition you are if your less then a mile you may get full speed which is less than half the speed of cable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice