How fast will my Internet be?**Need This Info Bad**

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kris78164

Ok i wanna get this internet service an i was wondering how quick i will be alble to download files in KB approx
Here is some info
» Up to 3.0-6.0 Mbps Download Speed
» Up to 800 kbps Upload Speed
» 100GB of high speed traffic
» Free technical support 24/7
» Wireless Home Network compatible
» Free Web Hosting 50 MB Personal
Web Space http://sitename.velcom.ca

» Email Virus and SPAM protection
» 100 MB Space
» 1000 MB Traffic
» Dynamic IP Address
» Free Domain Name Hosting
Example; www.yourdomain.com
» Static IP Address $4/month per IP

» Up to 5-40 Email Accounts
» Additional IP Blocks:
2 IPs (/30 subnet) $5/month
6 IPs (/29 subnet) $10/month
14 IPs (/28 subnet) $20/month

If you're thinking of moving from dial-up to DSL, you won't be sorry. You get what you pay for. Connection speed depends on price... the more expensive packages are also faster.

I have BellSouth DSL extreme 3.0, and my download speed is a consistent 2.8 or 2.9 Mbps.

Well 1 meg equals 1000 kb so.....do the math!! lol....3.0mbps is what I have....It moves very fast...It's worth every penny

Brushmasters1's got it right , you get what you pay for.
I have a Comcast business account, which limits me right now (last I tested) 9-10 Mbps, with 768 Kbps upload speed.
and speaking of the math.....whatever the company tells you(I.E. 3 Mbps or 6Mbps) that's in megaBITS, not megaBYTES.
So you have to divide what they tell you by 8, then subtract 10-13% for TCp/IP packet header overhead.

With a 3.0 MegaBIT connection, your computer downloads at roughly 345 KiloBYTES per second.
(always try to remember to look at the big "B" or the little"b")
3.0 Mbps does not equal 3.0 MBps

...remember that your computer works and downloads in BYTES, which are equvalent to 8 BITS.

*Opens Notebook*...........................*Takes notes*......Thanks for the info Colossus....And sorry Kris for posting inaccurate information...

kris78164 said:
Ok i wanna get this internet service an i was wondering how quick i will be alble to download files in KB approx
Here is some info
» Up to 3.0-6.0 Mbps Download Speed
» Up to 800 kbps Upload Speed
» 100GB of high speed traffic
» Free technical support 24/7
» Wireless Home Network compatible
» Free Web Hosting 50 MB Personal
Web Space http://sitename.velcom.ca

» Email Virus and SPAM protection
» 100 MB Space
» 1000 MB Traffic
» Dynamic IP Address
» Free Domain Name Hosting
Example; www.yourdomain.com
» Static IP Address $4/month per IP

» Up to 5-40 Email Accounts
» Additional IP Blocks:
2 IPs (/30 subnet) $5/month
6 IPs (/29 subnet) $10/month
14 IPs (/28 subnet) $20/month
It looks like your connection will be capped a 1GB worth of traffic however. Seems like a rip off to me. You might want to ask them this or you might be surprised when after downloading a movie your connection gets dropped.

Rockin I read that as 1 gb email traffic and 100 gb of web/internet traffic

Either way both of those are not the largest numbers if your dealing with large files. Does your current ISP do tracking to be able to tell you what your current use is? Maybe you have been self monitoring. Another thought is if the email gets high just use gmail or something as an alternative.

The main thing is since it has advertised caps is know what your getting into. Also check to see if they have changed the caps and if it has been up or down you don't want to sign up for 1gb and 100gb to have them drop it to 500mb and 10gb in a few months.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have a 6000/384 Comcast connection. My download speeds for large files are in the 700-800 kbyte/sec range from fast remote sites like Microsoft.

no...definitly not. Heck you could run a fairly nice server off a nearly 1 meg connection for the upload (assuming it doesn't violate the TOS).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online