1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Get Started with HTML & Websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Grendal, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grendal

Grendal Thread Starter

If creating a website interests you but you don't know how to get started then keep reading.

First you need to be willing to learn a programming language called HTML. The learning curve is quite low so you should be able to create your first site within an hour or so. To start learning HTML I recommend going to Webmonkey.com or W3Schools.com .

Both sites have excellant resources when it comes to creating web pages.

After reading them you should have a good understanding of HTML and know that you can use a simple text editor like Notepad to create them.

But of course you want more, ....don't you! :p

As you probably guessed there are other editors out there that ease the pain in your fingers when it comes to typing all that code.

If you still want to be a HTML guru then I guess you can use editors like Macromedia Homesite (not free) or HTML-kit (free).
    There are a lot more editors out there so you may want to look a little harder.

If you want to go the easy way and use WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) way then you'll probably have to purchase a program like Microsoft Frontpage or Macromedia Dreamweaver. These programs let you visually design your site and they automatically create the code for you in the background.

Once you have your *sweet* site created you've got to get it on the net. There are two ways to do this. The first is to use a free host which offers a small amount of space and a URL that isn't really "yours". The other is to pay a small fee for more storage and a true URL.

The free providers like Tripod offer 20 MEGS of space. The URL you get looks something like: http://yourusername.tripod.com/.
    Sites like this don't usually offer anything but CGI scripts. If you are looking to use PHP or other scripting languages then I'd look at pay hosting.

Pay hosting is a lot better, if you can pay the price. The price trend seems to be about $100 per year for the hosting and not the unique URL like www.yoursite.com. With the URL it can cost 120 or above.

By the time you get your hosting setup you can upload your files and viola!

Happy coding!

P. S. (I once was in the same position of the people that this tutorial is meant for so I know how difficult it can be to get starting creating web sites)

2. BillC

BillC

Do you have a web page posted yet? If so, what is the URL? Just curious.

3. Grendal

Grendal Thread Starter

well...i did then I ran out of money! lol
    I'm planning on getting my site back up in a week or two though

Thanks for asking though

4. BillC

BillC

You do know that you can get free web hosting at lots of sites, don't you? Also, sometimes you get some free space with your ISP; Comcast provides 25mb.

And, there are plentiful free utilities to make and publish your own page. Just look at the freeware sites like WebAttack and Tucows.

Thus money does not need to be an issue.

Enjoy.

5. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Also a copy and paste or drag /drop web site is a good learning tool . 81X allows this plus some HTML if you like . After building a site ( takes 5 minutes or less ) you can alter and add code as you learn HTML from sites such as these and more .

...........annabella`s
    ...........yes mag
    ...........html goodies

6. Grendal

Grendal Thread Starter

thanks all for the recommendations. I'm sure others who read this thread will appreciate them too...

thanks

(I gotta go to bed now)

7. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

$120 for a year!! Thats extremely steep!! It can be done in less than US $ 30 a year.

I really don't trust free hosting providers. There's no free lunch and you pay cost in one way or the other.

If you need more information on US $ 30 cost, send me a private message or a mail.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice