1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How hide files for other users

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by newspaper56, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newspaper56

newspaper56 Thread Starter

Is it possible to hide a folder from other users that aren't admins? I do not want it not to activate or be executed, I just don't want it to be possible to be shown on other users.

OR is it possible to just completely deny access to the C:/ Drive. I've tried messing with the security of the C:Drive but sine I'm an Admin AND User at the same time, anything that affects the users affects me as well.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Right click on the folder and select the "Hidden" attribute. I haven't tested this, but pretty sure that non-administrator accounts cannot turn on 'Show hidden folders' and thus see it.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Terry, non-admins CAN turn on show hidden files.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Oh! Thanks. :)

And that will show even hidden files owned by another account? I've hardly ever had a second account on a machine, so I should probably keep quiet on these issues.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

If it is NTFS I believe you can password protect it

6. gurutech

gurutech

Right-click on the file or folder, then go to properties, then the Security tab. From there, click "Edit" under the group or user names section at the top, then look for the users you want to deny access to from the list. Click "Add" and add them if they are not in the list. For each user, highlight the line with their name on it, then click the checkbox for "Full Control" on the "Delete" column. Click Apply, then OK when you are done, then OK again to close out of the properties window.

This, in addition to using the "Hidden" attribute will keep people from seeing the folder, and if for some reason they do see it, they can't access it. Do NOT do this for C:\, C:\Windows, or C:\Program Files (or --- (x86)). This will make the system unusable for the affected users. This should only apply to "Data" folders...

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Terry,

A folder can be owned by another acc and it's security permissions set so that the Users group doesn't have Read permissions, then you cannot see what is inside or navigate into it.

The hidden attribute is another separate thing which makes it not show up in explorer until you checkmark 'show hidden files' .

8. newspaper56

newspaper56 Thread Starter

Thing is (I assume you meant Deny) is that, i don't necessarily want the contents of the folder not to be executed.

And yes, other users can see the folder when clicking show hidden files. It's odd. I'd assume they wouldn't, unless I did something wrong with the settings.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100086