1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Hot is Hot?

Discussion in 'Games' started by James D, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James D

James D Thread Starter

Latly I have been pullin some pretty high graphic games, well for a PC like mine.

1.8 Ghz
    1024 mb ram
    64mb Gforce MX 4000 (updated to 66.93)

Sims 2, Battlefeild Veitnam, Sacred, are all high up there for a PC like mine. My PC has been crash for a while now, I was wondering what made it crash, first guess the temp. So when I was playing Total War game it crashed and I quickly viewed the Temp.
    My MotherBoard was 120f and My CPU was 118f.
    Is this a normal temp? Or is there somthing else making me crash?
    James D

2. gaftop1

gaftop1

if it's an amd it's not bad . don't know about intel

3. James D

James D Thread Starter

Yea its an Emachines intel celeron, I heard from this one guy Mitch: "NO WAY! Are you crazy? That's H-O-T hot! Playing games like that is dangerous for a PC of you're specs. I'm befuddeled that you haven't seen flames spewing out of every crack of your PC's case yet. Your CPU fan must be working mega over-time."
    Is he correct?

4. gaftop1

gaftop1

don't worry about it.
    he's either trying to scare you or he's in the box of rocks crowd

5. Interstate

Interstate

It's pretty hot. My toshiba has crashed a couple times from being really hot. But I'm running dual 3.06's with fans blowing right on them. Try opening your case to clear the dust out. That usually fixes overheat crashes.

6. McTimson

McTimson

That's only about 50C, which isn't that bad...if it gets up to 140-150f, then I would start worrying. Is this a laptop or a tower? Also, what happens when it crashes, does the program just stop, or does the machine restart, blue-screen, or what?

7. James D

James D Thread Starter

interesting, no its a desktop. I have noticed the increase of temp when playing games, normal idle around 90- 100. So I go to play a game, like the ones listed above, about maybe 1-2 hours crashes to desktop. I have no other clue why this might happen, so I checked temp and sure enought 118-124f. Plus when I checked inside for dust I notice that there was a, well I don't know how to discribe it, well, ok, there are alot of black cylinder type thingys on my motherboard, k, alot, so I looked next to my fan and noticed one of the black things was bend down, strange that no other black cylinder thing was like that...do you think it melted? Man, im still learnig bout PC's so bare with me!! thanks
    James D

8. gaftop1

gaftop1

the bent one probably got bent when they were putting the heatsink and fan on.
    look at all the cylinder things and see if any have any goo coming out of them. if there is, time for another board.
    the temperature is going to go up playing heavy graphic games but your
    temp isn't that high. your vid card isn't very good. it might be heating up and shutting down. your mx card is good for surfing or yahoo games. very low end games.
    personally i'd get a better card even if it's not the vid card causing crash.
    a cheaper card is the older ti 4200 nvidia card. around 70 bucks. i have one in my other computer and it runs call of duty and far cry well. actually pretty much is decent for whatever i throw at it. i've got it overclocked to 300 600

9. McTimson

McTimson

I used to push HL2 on my GF4 MX400, and it worked fine, it doesn't really sound like an overheating problem to me...usually when something overheats, the system will shut down or restart.

That black thing bent down is a capacitor, depending on how far it's bent down, it's probably ok, but check all the other capacitors and make sure they're not bulging or leaking (brown crud on top of them). Faulty capacitors make computers do weird stuff, so they could be the culprit.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Agreed. I think it's a driver / file issue somewhere.

My machine is running @ ~40c and it's a brand new machine. (3 fans, 2 in 1 out, not inc. CPU fan. The spec below is my machina) I am curious though what the SYS_FAN is. Is it just another fan?

11. McTimson

McTimson

Depending on themotherboard, SYS_FAN is usually just one of the case fans, whichever one is plugged into the motherboard. Some motherboards have more than one connection for it, some only have one.

12. James D

James D Thread Starter

haha,Thanks guys. During my stay at this forum I think it is safe to say I should be a more suitable PC, a more gaiming PC. When I purchased the Emachines I had no clue what things did! I have about $700 to put towards a new PC ha! I shopped around a bit, figuered out I do not want to build a PC, (It would probley blow up) but buy one with good procceser, AGP slot (mine does not have one), and work from there.
    So I guess I would like suggestions on a good affordable PC. I hear just about every company (hp, gateway, dell,and emachines) has problems. So far though I like dells selection...ok, if I could I would like to know whats better, or I should something else.
    Dell Dimension 4700
    Enhanced Performance
    Pentium® 4 Processor 520 with HT Technology (2.80GHz, 800 FSB)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

40GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

FREE 17" Flat Panel Monitor Upgrade - Online only!
    FREE Shipping - Online Only!
    FREE Memory Upgrade to 512MB!

Featured at
    $649
    After $150 Mail-in Rebate!
    Rebate Details

OR

AMD Athlon 64 3300+ 2.4GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW and 48X CD-Rom Drives, Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Number: 317572
    Mfr. Part #: PP164AA#ABA
    Brand: HP « Visit their Showcase

Monitor not included unless otherwise specified. Was: $679.99
    $629.99
    SAVE $50 after:
    $50.00 mail-in rebate(s

I heard Pentium 4 and Athlon where the best proccesers right now. what do you guys think of this, and why is the HP more expensive, I mean why does the dell give me free stuff, is it becasue of the 40 GB compared to the 160 GB space? And Dells processer is 2.8 where as HP is 2.4?? thanks
    James D

13. gaftop1

gaftop1

14. James D

James D Thread Starter

Hey guys I was looking at the dell pentium 4 3.2 ghz, 1gb ram 80gb space and 128mb Radeon x300 SE, is this a good gaming PC?

15. Interstate

Interstate

It's alright, but the card is a little weak.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice