1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How hot is too hot for a GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by supercubedude, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supercubedude

supercubedude Thread Starter

I'm just curious, I don't want my new card (Nvidia 8600 GTS) overheating, so at what point should I start worrying about the heat? It hovers around 57C when idle, and goes above 70C while gaming. Is that too hot? Even when it's that hot, it drops by about 10C after just a few seconds of not playing the game.

Much thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Those seem fine for a video card and drastic temperature change is also normal. I would only worry if it went above the 90's for the 8600 GTS.

3. supercubedude

supercubedude Thread Starter

Really? Wow, 90s? Geez haha. Thanks.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    70's are normal under load for modern GPU's.

I found this: http://www.hwupgrade.com/articles/v...force-8600-gts-gt-and-8500-gt-roundup_15.html
    Appears it really depends on the manufacturer, as well as your own case design and cooling, but high 60's are normal for the 8600GT and the two of cards went above 79 degrees. GTS's being clocked faster then GT's and many times factory overclocked do run in the high 60's and breaking 70's probably comes easy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice