How I On Earth Do I Reformat A Sony Vaio

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

edgar818

My uncle has a sony vaio computer and its been mesin up lately so i want to reformat it but it never came with any reformat cds or anything. If I use a windows xp cd how will i find the drivesr for this computer or is there any other way to get the computer reformated. Its a p4 2.53ghz 512mb ram 120gb hard drive

Hi ... First you should view the manual and if you don't have it ? Try and see if you can find it on Sony site , The operating system might just be on your hard drive in a hidden partition and if it is ? Then the manual should explain how to reset back to factory setting , the way you got it when it was new ( reformated )

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Is the Windows XP CD you have a full version or an upgrade version? If it's an upgrade version, you'll also need a Windows 98/98SE or a Windows ME CD for confirmation purposes during the setup process.

You can use a Windows XP CD to install that operating system in more than one computer, but you can't use the same 25-digit serial number in more than one computer. If you try to activate it with Microsoft with a serial number that's already activated in another computer, it won't validate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the drivers I would check Sony's site. You should be able to download any and all drivers from there.

After you have them downloaded, if the PC has a cd burner then you can burn them to a disc and since you said the XP disc you have is full version then I would do a clean install.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't mention if that CD is the original version, the SP1 version, or the SP2 version of XP.

The install process of XP should provide most of the drivers for the hardware in that computer(i.e. display adapter, sound device, dial-up modem, high-speed network card), but you should have access to them, just in case you need to download and install them.

Once you boot from the XP CD, you'll need to delete the current C: partition, create a new C: partition, format the new C: partition with the NTFS file system, then install XP. Just follow the directions as each window appears.

Once the install process is complete, Microsoft needs to be contacted so XP can be activated. If it's not activated, you'll keep receiving a nag screen to do so, and it'll quit working after 30 days.

And like I said before, you can't use the same 25-digit serial number from that CD if it's already been activated in another computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edgar818

The windows xp disk i have is a sp2 disk. Is is possible to use the product key that came with the sony already or how can I find out that key.

In other words you do not have the legal software. You have to use the key that came with the Vaio and also the Windows Install software with it too. You can use this disk if, You have a valid key code with it and the disk is not installed on any other computer at all.

If you are short the software for the Vaio the I suggest calling Sony and they will provide you with legal software.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts