1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How important are MS Office updates? Are they included in Windows Critical Updates?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bloomcounty, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Thread Starter

I've got Office 2003 Student Edition (all installed, minus Outlook). I haven't done any updates to it. I did not install the Microsoft GDI+ Detection tool. And I only visit Windows Update (not Microsoft Update) and install the critical updates under custom install.

I'm wondering:

1. Are the updates for MS Office that are critical security things included when you do Windows Update? (For example, there are a number of things listed here towards the bottom: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2232 -- would those have been included in the last batch of critical Windows updates?

2. Do you need the GDI+ thing to do Office Updates?

3. When you go to the Office Updates site, it wants you to install and run some kind of Active X thing. Is this necessary? And can it cause any problems?

4. Can doing critical Office updates (separate from whatever, if anything, that comes with Windows Update) cause any problems or conflicts with other things on your computer?

Thanks for the help!

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

1. No. You either do Windows update and Office update, or you do Microsoft update, which does both at once.

2. I think so, but I am not positive. If you need it, it will install it, or, if you decline, you may not get updates. One way to find out, try it.

3. I don't think it will do the updates without it. Again, try it. It never caused any problems for me having it.

4. I can't guarantee that, nor can anyone else. Sometimes these "hotfixes" cause problems. Wait at least a few days after release to update was my motto. If there were any problems, you may hear about them, giving you the option to wait for that "fix" and, it gives MS time to be notified and correct it. Hopefully.

For what it's worth, I always kept my XP updated, waiting a few days after the release of course.
    Hope this helps.
    RootbeaR

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/546066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice