1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How important is it to update your drivers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SophieCella, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SophieCella

SophieCella Thread Starter

Hey

Sorry if this sounds like a really amateur question, but on some websites I see links to update your drivers via a download, and since you're not installing any new hardware, what's the significance of downloading something onto one of your drivers? How does your computer run better after updating? When do you know to replace the driver you have with a new one?

Sophie

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Some drivers will run faster and more efficiently with new drivers. Usually manufacturers will release updates that have a reason to be updated. But, if it's not broken - don't fix it.

3. computeruser1200

computeruser1200

I have a bio star motherboard P4M900-M4, with via chip set drivers and I keep getting messages that keep saying to update drivers but when I go to via I can't find where to go, maybe you can steer me in the right direction, Jon

4. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Downloading newer drivers usually fixes bugs with older drivers, makes your devices run faster, and gives you new abilities. This isn't always the case, but generally that is how it goes.

Unless you are a gamer or someone who does a lot of serious hardware-intensive computing, you really have no need to update your drivers, unless of course they are broken.

ComputerUser1200, where and how are these messages popping up? I'm concerned that there may be a rootkit in your computer that is trying to get you to download something that could be hazardous. The motherboard shouldn't be affecting how things are going in the operating system.

5. brite750

brite750

maybe they mean to update your MB chipset drivers, so go to Biostar instead, mostly these types of messages are to be ignored

6. computeruser1200

computeruser1200

Thank You, I was not sure

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I used to always do updates when available for hardware but after having modems fail, video card updates that prevent pc from booting, and soundcard updates that kill sound all together, as stated above, I decide if I have an issue, and if not then I stay away. Be aware though the older your hardware, the more possible problems updates will cause, yet you are the ones who may need updates the most. I guess the best advice I can give is avoid the hardware updates at the Windows Update site as they are the most treacherous to older hardware.

8. Arxmag

Arxmag

Some newer PC games will request that you have the latest drivers maybe to support new features that the game may have or just to insure stability. The only drivers I regularly update are my graphics card.

9. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

The only time that upgrading your drivers could be bad is for "one-size-fits-all" drivers. These are usually video drivers, where a company like nVidia or ATi will issue a single driver that works for all nVidia or ATi cards. Using the latest drivers on an old card will likely bring bad performance because the newer drivers are much more bloated.

10. SB305

SB305

I believe in the old adage:
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    :D

11. computeruser1200

computeruser1200

I will not install new drivers, unless their is a problem, Thank You

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice