How IP addresses were distributed globally

mcseguy9

Hey all, I wasn't sure which board to put this in but I think this one will work. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource online that explains how IP addresses, or the IP address space under IPv4, were allocated globally (by country). Each country has a certain number of IP addresses set aside specifically for them (that's my understanding), so my question is who determined that, how was it determined, etc? And has the determination been made for IPv6?

mcseguy9 said:
Hey all, I wasn't sure which board to put this in but I think this one will work. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource online that explains how IP addresses, or the IP address space under IPv4, were allocated globally (by country). Each country has a certain number of IP addresses set aside specifically for them (that's my understanding), so my question is who determined that, how was it determined, etc? And has the determination been made for IPv6?
Hi mcseguy9,

To find out, you may have to read the following RFC document entitled: RFC 4632:
Classless Inter-domain Routing (CIDR): The Internet Address Assignment and Aggregation Plan located at: http://www.heise.de/netze/rfc/rfcs/rfc4632.shtml and it may not answer the connection of how a country is involved. At least you will get a good rundown of the address-space considerations for IPv4.

Enjoy the journey as there are lots of links at the end of the document.

Also, another part of the story to the question you ask can be understood by reading:
The Role of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) at:
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/related/iana/index.shtml

-- Tom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online