1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How is it done ?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Eureka, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eureka

Eureka Thread Starter

I am most likely not in the right forum for this but since I am new to all this please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong forum. I am sure I'll be told by somebody which is the right forum.

Heres the question:: Can I download my website onto a CD and if I do how ?

Question 2::: Will the links all work and if my website has pictures will they show up as some of them are thumbnails that increase in size once you click them.

Question 3::: Then can I put this CD in my laptop and show my clients my website on CD formatt without having to connect to the net because I should have all my site on A CD rom.

I know you guys are the best there is on the Internet so please I would be very very grateful if somebody could tell me in easy to understand steps how this is done or if it can be done.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

development is where most of the website related questions are, but doesn't matter (to me anyways :) )

yes, you should be able to just download the website to a directory on your hdd, then burn that to a CD
    -yes all the links will work if they link to your other pages, they will work to internet urls if you are connected
    - pics should work fine, the thumbnails should be part of your website, probably have the same file name with _sm attached to it
    - so yes, if the links are internal, the pics and thumbs are part of your website => then you should be able to show it just on an unconnected laptop

but - it's already on your hdd where you created it before uploading to webspace isn't it?
    - or do you use a web based editor?
    [edit: if downloading the files from a web based provider, make sure you duplicate the same file structure etc - you may still need to edit some link references tho]

either way - download then burn, or burn from the existing files on your hdd

note: error check it either way, open the website from your hdd - NOT the web - and run it off the hdd, go through all the links, all the thumbs, etc
    => last thing you want is to look like a disney character in front of clients (unless disney IS the client)

3. Rockn

Rockn

If you have Win98 you can install PWS (Personal Web Server) locally on your hard drive and it will act like a regular web server. It is part of Win98...go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and go to the Windows Setup tab. Scroll down to internet tools and highlight it, click the details button and check off PWS. Once that installs go to Start > Programs > Accessories and Internet Tools. CLick the shortcut and the rest of the instructions will pop up. Once it's installed you can set up numerous web sites installe directly to you local drive. Good too to test out your web site before you upload it to your web server.

4. Topazz

Topazz

Yes, it can be done, but it may be a little tricky getting the links to work if they are not 'internal' as you will probably need to 'go under the hood' of the HTML.

You don't say how PC literate you are so apologies if I oversimplify things :) Also, I am assuming that you created the website while online, or else someone else created it (otherwise it would already be on your hard disk).

First you need to make a folder on your hard disk to store all your webpages: call it Website or something relevant.

Now go online to your home page and save-as the page into the folder you just created, making sure it is called index.html If you have Internet Explorer 5 or higher the pictures will be saved as well.

Go to the next page and do the same, only call that page Page1. Do this for all the pages on the website.

Once they are all downloaded onto your hard disk, disconnect from the web, then open the index.html file in your browser and see if the pictures also load. If they do, the links are internal. If they don't then the html source code will have to be edited to make them internal before you can burn them onto a CD.

Try this first and see what happens. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice