1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How is the "AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 255 Processor"?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i am looking at an 400 dollar ACER computer with : AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 255 Processor

Last time i bought a computer PEN4 was king. Dont laugh

2. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

How good or bad depends on what you intend to do with it. :) For a comparison with other CPUs try here.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The 255 is a good processor, though I will have to say that I am not at all impressed by ACER computers.

4. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I am still in the Pen1,2,3,4 years.

Is the "AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 255 Processor" an improved state of the art processor over the Pen4? Or in other words does the "AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 255 Processor" make the Pen4 look outdated

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes it does.

6. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

The biggest difference (and I am greatly over-simplifying) is that each clock cycle does much more than in the Pentium 4. Therefore, the clock need not run as fast and the amount of heat generated (and power used) is far less. Intel hit the wall on the P4 Netburst architecture design and could not keep clocking faster and faster. Too much power drain and too much heat. AMD came out with a radically different approach (using a slower clock and less power to do more) and Intel quickly scrambled to come up with an alternative CPU architecture to match. HTH!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice