1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How is this computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gamez_girl, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gamez_girl

Gamez_girl Thread Starter

Look at the system and tell me what you think.

Pentium 4 1.7GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1700+(Is it 1.5GHz?)
    512 DDR Memory
    64MB Video Card w/TV out (which is better ATI Radeon or GeForce? What is the best manufacturer of GeForce, is it Nividia?) Texel/s 700 million, and ramdac 350MHz.
    SoundBlaster Live Plat 5.1 (Is this good?)
    60GB HD w/ Anti-shock, noise guard (What type?)
    1.44 Floopy Drive
    24x10x40 w/Buffer Underrun Protection (What type? Plextor or Yamaha maybe?)
    16x DVD Drive (What type?)
    17" 0.20 hpd Samsung Moniter
    Altec Lansing AVS300 Subwoofer Sound System
    Internet Keyboard
    Case w/ 320 watt power supply (What kind?)
    Windows XP Professional
    Full version of Office 2000 Professional or XP Professional?
    Encarta, Expedia Streeets & Tips, Money, Publishing, Picture It
    Motherboard w/ 6PCI slots, 6 USB prots, 2 Serial ports and 2 parallel ports maybe but it depends. (Is VIA P4X266A And SiS645 Are Better Solutions Than i845D?)
    Modem v.92 or v.90? what type?
    Network card: yes or no? what type?

2. brianF

brianF

3. stanggt2

stanggt2

I would go with the ATI video card I know some people that had trouble out of the new gforce3 or even cheaper an SIS 128 meg, 256 bit video card about $60 ( a friend of mine got one of these he loves it), and motherboard check this one out IWILL XP133 it use pc2700 ddr (333 bus speed) ram and UATA 133 hard drive it supports 6 channel speakers ( I think I am going to get me one of these), and hard drive I would go with the maxtor UATA 133 to match, for the best prices go to www.pricewatch.com

4. Voodoomelon

Voodoomelon

i'd suggest dumping the SBLive! 5.1 card, its beginning to show its age. I'd opt for the SB Audigy.

5. greenjello4

greenjello4

that is a very good computer. i think the sound card being soundblaster 5.1 means you can hook up surround sound to it and it should be THX certifed (very good). the AMD processor i think is 1.7 Ghz but i'm not sure. any cd burner is good. from what you've said about it it sounds awesome. if you are going to get this computer or already have it use it for what it's worth! get some high demand video games (MS flight sim 2002 is great for all the nonviolent types) and put that thing to the test. if you just want something that runs internet and word processing go with something cheaper. i would say this computer is worth about $2000 at most $1600 (US dollars) cheapest. hope i was of help to you!

6. deuce

deuce

Definatelty go with Audigy Platinum for the sc and either ATI or gforce3 for a 64md DDR vid card... but I might say ATI 1st over gforce3. Get a 3Com ethernet if you will need it... otherwise don't bother and save the $50. Get a 7200 RPM HD. i845D is for the P4 only to the best of my knowledge. For the ps what kind? doesn't matter... just get something that has at least 300W. For the 17" moniter may I suggest a ViewSonic A75f flat screen? To me, the best moniter out there. (well, second to the 18" one) For the CDRW I say either a Plextor or Yamaha. (oh... you already decided that far) Well they are both pretty much the same quality and price... I'd say go with Yamaha though. And the cpu... yes a 1700+ is really 1.5 Ghz. They call it 1700+ because supposedly it is the same as a P4 1.7 Ghz.

7. Gamez_girl

Which motherboard is better the one from Intel or Asus?
    Which HD is better Maxtor, Fujitsu, Qauntum or Western Digital?
    Which DVD drive is better Toshiba or Panasonic?

8. nathanco

nathanco

My brother-in-law used to have an Intel motherboard and whenever the CMOS settings get haywired, it is a big big hassle to reset it as you'd gotta change the jumpers just to make the resets and then change back the jumpers again after you've done the settings. I would NEVER get an Intel Motherboard.

But for Asustek, I swore in my so many years and 3rd motherboard, I never found any problems with Asustek. Really reliable (and I am a heavy user), I should say. I'd go for that one. And if you have a choice of chipsets, I'd get the intel chipsets rather than Via. Some reported having problems with Via.

As for HDD, see try get a faster one... maybe 7200 rpm. 60GB should be large enough for ordinary use.

Don't get a modem first. Check if your local ISPs if you can get broadband. The V.92 and V.90 are simply too slow and archaic. It dampers the net experience. (But if you have no choice but to settle with dial-up, go for the V.92).

Network card.... depends if you are going to be connected to a network or not. Or if you use broadband, you may be required to use a network card. This one.... check with your local ISP.

DVD Drive.... get a Pioneer one if you can.

CD writer.... I am using a Yamaha and it has worked very well. Some say Plextor is even better. So if money is no matter, then get Plextor. Otherwise, I would not lose sleep if I get a Yamaha.

Office 2000 of XP Office.... well... I think Office 2000 works very well. It depends on your budget or fancy things you want to do. If you just want simple word processing and stuff like that, Office 2000 is good enough.

9. Gamez_girl

What motherboard should I get for a P4 using DDR ram if I get an ASUS?

10. nathanco

nathanco

As I am still using an old Pentium 3 (550 MHz), I haven't really gone deep into evaluating which P4 motherboard from Asus is best.

You may want to visit their website to see all the available models they have, what are the features, and what is the best configuration for you. The site address is:

http://usa.asus.com/index.asp

However, allow me to share with you a thought I have had recently as my hands are itching to upgrade to P4 (yet there is no real justifiable reason for me to do so since my P3 is working perfectly and speed alone is not really a good justification at this time). Since from your nick I presume gaming is a primary motive for getting a high-end PC, if money is not an issue, I would think about getting a motherboard (not necessarily from Asustek) that supports dual CPUs. Imagine.... how cool it would be if you have a motherboard that support 2 pieces of 1.7GHz CPU..... for a total of 3.4 GHz (though it does not really add up that way)!

11. Gamez_girl

Which is better Asus P4B-266, P4B-266-C, P4B-266-E, P4B-266-M, or P4B-266-SE?

12. Dark Star

Dark Star

13. videobruce

videobruce

Go with AMD and stop supporting the Wintel monopoly!

GeForce seems to have a egde on ATI and the drivers have less issues. Don't get suckered into alot of video memory. 64 is way more than you need. It doesn't make it any faster just allows higher resolutions which you will never use!

Creative's Soundblaster software is too bloated! There were issues with Via's chipsets in the past. Their tech support is terrible. TOO many products TOO little support!

Asus is over priced and overated.

19" monitors aren't that much more than 17" and since you will be playing games, why not a 19"!

Yamaha are suppose to be the best, but they are the most expensive! Plextor comes in 2nd but they are expensive also. Try TDK as a middle ground.

400 watt PS. Anything less than 350 is iffy at best.

Windows 2000. No product activation and with SP3 you are up to datye as XP is without the consumer bells and whistles. Also it is time proven.

Quantum was bought out by Maxtor. Either WD or Maxtor. Maxtor replacement warrenty is great. I sent back a bad drive that was MY fault and they replaced it free!! I have always gone with TWO smaller HD's (the 2nd is a bootable backup in case the main goes down). Allows you to access the other drive without using DOS

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice