1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How is this even impossible?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Alexb123, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

I have installed on my computer a new PC only version of Windows 8. I've not purchased a new PC for about 8 years so its impossible it came with the computer, I built the computer myself.

I remember I brought an upgrade copy of Win8 in error, I got it from PC world. I still have those disk but now I also have this new PC version. I remember going back to PC to tell them I brought it in error I also remember calling the MS helpline.

Can anyone make sense of this? How did this copy come to be working on this computer?

I'm currently wanting to do a clean install but I can't because I can't workout what happened in the past :eek:

HELP :)

Cheers

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sounds like you may have an OEM System Builder versions of Windows 8. It is intended to be installed by someone or a company building a new computer that is to be resold. That particular version includes a personal use license which allows anyone to buy an OEM System Builder copy of the software and install it on a (new or old) PC that is intended for personal use. It should have come with an installation key.

Here is some more information on the ZDnet web site.

http://www.zdnet.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-your-windows-8-1-upgrade-options-7000021554/
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-radically-overhauls-license-agreements-for-windows-8-7000002866/

3. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to have a envelope from MS that says the following Win 8 64 Bit Eng Intl 1 pk DSP OEI

I really can't remember getting it. Do you think MS might have sent it to me when I called them about the upgrade version no clean installing?

Is there someway to clean install this version because I'm sure I must have clean installed it when I first got it?

And yes it did come with a key.

I'm really baffled!!!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You seem to be describing an installation disc for an OEM 64 bit version of Windows 8. There are resellers selling such discs. I have no idea under what conditions Microsoft would send such a disc to anyone for no charge.

From what I have been able to find on line, you should be able to do a clean installation of Windows 8, entering the supplied key. Whether or not it will authenticate as a valid copy of Windows will depend on if the key was previously used. I don't know what the procedure would be to re-install and re-authenticate Windows 8 on the same computer, reusing the same key.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice