1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How is this possible?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by silverorb, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverorb

silverorb Thread Starter

I have just reformatted my hard drives as well as installing xp back on to my system. After windows installs and it comes up to the desktop for the very first time I get those ANNOYING pop-ups. You know the ones that say
    ---MESSENGER SERVICE your pc will die unless you go to www.clean32.com or regfix2k.com blah blah etc etc...---

From my understanding these are a type of spyware--but how the bloody hell do I get them seconds after a clean format of HD and xp?? Happens everytime!

Now I usually ignore them and after updating windows via winupdate.com and getting windows deffender they never return.

I guess Im just curious how they popup the minute windows loads for the first time~

2. emoric

emoric

Is the Windows disk legit?
    Are you connecting to the net before installing an anti virus or firewall?
    Do you have any other hard disks?

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

your messenger service is turned on
    Go to Run >> services.msc

Scroll down and find messenger service >>>> Right click it >> go to properties >> select the startup type as disabled

4. silverorb

silverorb Thread Starter

Yes the windows disk is legit--its my orig. dell disk. I haven't even connected to the internet yet when I recieve these pop-ups--its immediatly upon bootup the first time--

these pop-ups uccor with messenger disabled/removed or on

5. jessilynndoll

jessilynndoll

I have tried everything to get rid of those popups, i did what it stated to do with the last post by running services.msc and the popups stopped, but i fear my computer may still be infected. If anyone can give me an idea on how to remove it completely so i am not compromised that would be great. Thanks!

6. silverorb

silverorb Thread Starter

7. dodge_viper

dodge_viper

what happened when u installed defender? detected the malware?

8. bogyi

bogyi

- turn fire wall on
    - download windows defender and do FULL scan

9. silverorb

silverorb Thread Starter

Yea, as I said up top that usually after a reformat/ update of my pc..I install and run defender never to see the pop-ups again--and that works for me

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here try this:

Download of the PC De-Crapifier – Use Internet Explorer for this page.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Be sure to watch what you do with this one it will remove everything you tell it including Windows!

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As soon as you connect to the web, there are "connections" looking for an open Messenger connection.

Shoot the Messenger

12. jessilynndoll

jessilynndoll

I'm sorry maybe im retarded but the windows defender? What is that and how much does it cost?
    I have tried to get rid of it w/ mcafee but it doesnt even touch it. Its really irritating :)

13. bogyi

bogyi

14. jessilynndoll

jessilynndoll

ha i wouldnt know how to steal it lol

15. jessilynndoll

jessilynndoll

I thought It was gone, i celebrated with a beer and patted myself on the back, then i hear a beep- it sounded like a popup, i look over and after 4 hours without a popup (they used to be every 30 seconds) they just out of nowhere showed back up!

Any more Ideas? This has got my computer by the b*lls!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice