1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how is this prebuilt from newegg.com? Seemed okay to me but id like more opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sctt859, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sctt859

Sctt859 Thread Starter

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Looks like a good system at a good price to me. I don't like Vista, though.

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Might want to make sure the Power Supply will handle whatever card you buy. Many times these systems PS don't have much extra power.

4. hudey123

hudey123

This system is pretty similar to my desktop before I did my last two upgrades (more RAM and an ATI HD 2600 Pro vid card).

The price on this system is really enticing, but if you're planning to play games on it you will be underwhelmed by the performance. A stock HP motherboard with generic RAM and an X2 4000+ (and, possibly, your 8600GT) is going to run pretty much anything out there right now, but that will exclude Crysis. The most recent games that it does run will have to be with low quality settings and will still have pretty darn low frame rates. My desktop runs on a 3800+ with an enthusiast-class motherboard and that is what I've been dealing with for the last six months.

So, while you'll be getting a good deal overall, this system is not going to last you long at all. If you're content to run games that came about prior to mid-2007 at middling detail levels, then it's an OK buy. If you want to play more recent games I urge you to squeeze every last dollar you can afford to pull out of your bank account and use it to buy something a bit better.

For instance, this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108116

Has a step up in processor, a better network card, and has an open PCI Express slot for a video upgrade. But you'd have to add a Gig of RAM (which is really cheap now)... so that's one step up, could you afford two steps up?

I just suggest that you spend every penny you can and get the absolute most you can afford, or you'll just be upgrading again sooner than you wish. :)

5. Sctt859

Sctt859 Thread Starter

6. hudey123

hudey123

Your link got truncated... try posting it again, or a description so I can search for it. :)

By the way, regarding the previous post about not liking Vista, don't let that scare you. I got Vista Premium on my newest laptop and I love it. You read a lot about hardware incompatibilities, problems with software, games won't play, etc. etc. It's all BUNK. Mine runs great and I have no problems whatsoever. I love Vista.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

This does appear to be a decent system. But I don't like where the HD bay (only one it seems) is located. Today's drives generate a bit of heat. When adding another (as most do) it's best to be able to keep them separated and low in the case (by the lower front vent and or fan).

Note the flexibility this cheap case allows.

[​IMG]

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

All bunk? These forums are littered with posts from folks who have problems with Vista. Your sweeping statement would then infer that all these folks are wrong or maybe just stupid. Many of the apps I constantly use are a few years old and are not Vista compatible. On XP they do what I need and do it well.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There once was a man who visited London for three days and it didn't rain any of the days he was there. Subsequently, he went around telling people it never rains in London.

I never got that guy's name; but, it might be hudey.

10. hudey123

hudey123

Let's talk specifics... what software are you using that doesn't run on Vista?

11. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You might as well be arguing the moon is the back side of the sun.

Search the Vista forum, yourself. We aren't the ones who need the proof. No one who has participated in the forums here for more than a few days or who even watches the news regularly can consider a person who would make an "all BUNK" comment like yours, a person to be considered seriously.

Be careful; your foolishness is showing.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

13. hudey123

hudey123

Mystic, good point. I didn't notice that about the hard drive location in the system I posted. With just one drive installed, I doubt it would be a problem though.

Sctt859, let me know what your budget is and give me a breakdown of what you'll use the system for (50% gaming, 30% watching movies, 20% Internet, 10% graphics editing, etc.) and I'll let you know what I suggest based on NewEgg's current specials. The uses for the computer are important, especially if it's almost exclusively for gaming.

14. Sctt859

Sctt859 Thread Starter

ima use it for like 70% gamming my budget is 800-900$ and i mostly do want a prebuilt thank you

15. Sctt859

Sctt859 Thread Starter

bump anyt one with a good prebuild comp from dell any site they trust with the price betweeen 800-900$ some one whos into gamming?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!