1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How long should file transfers take?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ingeborgdot, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I just got a new NAS and am backing up my computer. I just wanted to know how long a 10Gb transfer should take over the network? I know there are many variables but am just curious as to how long you believe it should take. I have GB network but that I know has nothing to do with a NAS.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's highly dependent on the NAS and your network configuration. I have several D-Link NAS units, the DNS-321 and DNS-323, and they do gigabit and jumbo frames, so that is significant for some NAS models.

What's the exact make/model of your NAS? The biggest performance bottleneck for most inexpensive NAS units is the actual NAS itself.

3. ingeborgdot

4. ingeborgdot

It is connected directly to Ethernet 1GB switch. Nothing is wireless in the connection. It all goes through an AT&T router/modem from 2wire a 1702HG Gateway.

5. JohnWill

I don't find any benchmarks for that unit, so I can't say. My DNS-323 will transfer at around 16-18mbytes/sec for reads and writes using RAID-1 configuration. It's a bit faster without RAID, but I wanted the hardware redundancy.

6. ingeborgdot

At this point I know it is not the NAS but something that is screwed up. I did get the Gbps to finally start working again but I can't send anything from my Vista comp. to my Xp computer. I can send from XP to vista though. It just won't run. The other day it was around 90 or so MB/sec from C to C. I did get the NAS up to around 20 MB/sec. I can find all my pieces to the network but when I go to send it just can't do it.

7. JohnWill

For an inexpensive NAS unit, 20mbytes/sec is a reasonable transfer rate.

8. ingeborgdot

Is there a NAS that you would recommend that is under $300 or is there such a thing?

9. ingeborgdot

I have found part of a culprit. My new Avast free stops all downloads to the my other network computer. I shut it off and my download works. I turn it on and it stops it. What settings do I need to change on it because I really like the new Avast.

10. ingeborgdot

I have changed my mind. I will pay over $400 if need be to get a NAS that has some fast speed. Does the HP EX490 have fast file transfer speed? I don't know what the heck to do. I look at one article and it says a machine is fast the other says not. Would anyone be able to give me a good recommendation for a prebuilt one?

11. JohnWill

I'd do some searches on the Internet for reviews of various models of NAS units and then make a choice.

12. ingeborgdot

I have spent day and night for the last several days. There is only so much info out there. The problem with the info is that I read one review on one NAS and then someone else does another and they both have different types of info contradicting one another. The best way I have found is to talk to people that have actually owned one.

13. ingeborgdot

The main purpose is to backup data in a central location for all my computers.

14. JohnWill

Well, I can only talk about the NAS units I have from personal experience. I use the D-Link DNS-323 and DNS-321 units here. I see many reviews as well, and some of those folks writing the reviews have the units in question. That being the case, I would think they're as believable as someone here might be commenting on their NAS. :)

15. ingeborgdot

I must be missing those.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice