1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How long should one wait before opening monitor case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buddhafabio, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buddhafabio

buddhafabio Thread Starter

i accuired a good crt monitor that has power button pushed in and i plan on opening it to see if i can fix this. I know monitors can be dangerous if they are opened and you dont let the tub charge disapate over time. My question is how long must i wait before i open the thing and fix the button. its been 9 days so far

2. bistro

bistro

I never recommend anyone doing their own CRT repairs; better off letting a qualified technician do them.

But FYI, a CRT charge can remain for a long time, even after several days in a low humidity environment. It's Winter and I assume you have been heating your house...probably fairly dry air....nice environment to build up static and/or preserve charges. Better to humidify the air to help slowly dissipate a charge.

NEVER wear a static strap when working on a CRT; not unless you want to light up like a Christmas tree. PC case, yes...CRT, no.

3. buddhafabio

well enviroment has cooperated here its been raining for last couple of days and i was also able to pop open a window for fresh air lately. and i am not tearing through the thing just some work on the inner shell.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In truth, though it's possible for the CRT to maintain a healthy charge, it's not that dangerous to work on a video monitor. I started working with them as a kid in a TV Repair shop, and I got bit lots of times with the charge, and I'm still typing this. :)

The proper method of discharging the tube is to use a well insulated probe that is grounded to the chassis and slide it under the anode clamp on the side of the tube to discharge it. Most modern monitors/TVs have a bleeder path that will discharge the tube anyway. If you stay away from the high voltage section, you should be fine.

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

Ahhhhhh--that explain a lot! ;)

6. JohnWill

Don't lose a step looking over your shoulder! [​IMG]

7. buddhafabio

fixed problem, broken plastic clip for button epoxied it to case and button works now

monitor works fine and i am alive still.(y)

8. JohnWill

I had faith in you. :D

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Well, your a braver lad then I!

I wouldn't open a monitor for the life of me, I also have a light switch that needs to be replaced, but I am too afraid of killng myself even after throwing the breaker...

10. JohnWill

Gee, I guess working for several years in a TV shop when I was in HS cured me of worrying about the high voltage in a TV or monitor. It's really not that difficult to keep out of trouble in there, honest. :D

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I dont think it is as much a problem being careful as it is a problem with oooops. Like if you are in there, and you drop something even if not in the monitor, dont grab to fetch it! That is usually when the bite happens, and though most often not a fatal bite, It sure does hurt like the dickens!

12. JohnWill

The damage usually comes from jerking your hand away and slashing it on something inside the chassis. Don't ask me how I know this. :eek: ;)

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    yeah I got a few of them scars, but not from just working on computers LOL. even a couple on my head from smacking it when I got the slash on the hands!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice