1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how long should this be taking!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smatt79, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smatt79

smatt79 Thread Starter

Hello, I bought a new toshiba laptop (core duo, 2gb of ram, all the rest) last night with a 200gb hard drive. I hate all the crap they always put on there, so I'm reformatting the drive and putting a fresh install of windows customized how I want it. I'm doing a complete erase and reformat (rewriting every sector to 0). How the heck long should this take? Its been going over an hour and clocks a remaining time of 15 hours!!! Is something wrong? Should I stop and just do a quick format? I want to play with my new toy!!!

Thanks for your help!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    A low level wiping of a hard drive by writing any kind of data to every sector can take several hours. I have seen it take 2+ hours for an EIDE 80 GB drive on a desktop PC with a fairly fast CPU. Not sure if 15 hours is too much for a 200 GB drive on a laptop.

Do you have a purchased copy of the Windows OS you wish to install? If not, do the recovery discs that came with the laptop allow you to do a clean install of just the OS or do they only allow a full restore to original factory conditions?

3. smatt79

smatt79 Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I decided to cancel and just do the regular format, next time I reinstall the OS (since its windows It'll probably be soon!) I'll do the whole every sector rewrite and set it overnight when I dont care how long it takes....

4. smatt79

smatt79 Thread Starter

oh, and yes I have the recovery disks, but there are several options on installing the factory or a custom install. I just thought it'd be best to do the sector re-write, i know its probably overkill on a new machine, but hey - overkill is my middle name!

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Naw, Overkill would be Department of Defense certified wiping the entire drive by filling with ones, then zeros, then pseudo-random random numbers three times. :D :D :D

When I first read your post, I was a bit concerned that your only OS recovery method was from a hidden partition on the HD and you were in the process of getting rid of it. :eek:

6. Flowdrip

Flowdrip

I take it you are planning on slipstreaming your XP or Vista O/S to get rid of all of the crap that M$ dumps on you. I cut the size of my XP Pro almost in half by getting rid of all of the unnecessary stuff. My computer boots to desktop in 18 seconds. Slipstreaming is the only way to go!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/605785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice