1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How long will my computer last?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neofan3, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

I am into gaming, mostly rpg and some shooter games. My gaming computer is just over one year old:

winXP pro x64
    AMD phenom X4 955
    3.2 ghz
    8 GB RAM
    ATI radeon 4870 dual 1ghz each
    2 hard drives in raid 0, 150 gb each

How long will my computer last before I have to replace it? I only use it for gaming.

2. BuilderJim

BuilderJim

It usually depends on how much care you give it. I have computers that ran for ten years, and are still running today. I annually open the tower case and blow out the dust that's been collecting inside to prevent fans from clogging, overheating, etc. and I wipe it clean. (Video cards and hardware might give out every 3-7 years but other than that, your fine)

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

And it also depends on how your software changes. If you never update or change your software it should continue playing the same games with pretty much the same performance as long as the hardware lasts. If you do update (as most people do) then sooner or later it'll run out of performance. Predicting when is extremely difficult as some updates actually improve performance-but over the long term they generally decrease performance while adding features, security, and stability. (I have conceptual problem with adding stability decreasing performance but it's all in how you measure it. IMO nothing impedes performance as much as software or hardware that crashes-but some people see things differently.)

As with updates, over the long term newer games will require newer hardware to achieve good performance. Even if anybody could predict when that trend will pass your current hardware's capabilities they still couldn't predict when you'd buy those new games. So I think the only reply you can really get is like Jim's, i.e. about how long your hardware should continue running-and that really says nothing about how long you'll be able to continue using your computer to play games.

4. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

1. the first answer can be counter-answered: I take care of my computers well enough since my 98 and 2000 still running well after 15 years or so.

2. the second answer appears to say that you don't know. That too bad since that what I want to know. Oh well, is there somebody with better experience ? People use to say that a computer will last about 5 years but that is in a general way. What about for gaming?

5. DerekC

DerekC

With new advancements in software and hardware daily, I don't think it's possible anymore to put a ballpark figure on when your computer will be outdated. Your OS for example is already 2 versions (more if you count service packs) behind. If you don't want to play anything more advanced then you already do, then it should be fine for a quite a while. If in a few years you don't meet the system requirements to play anything new, then it's time to upgrade.

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

You're quite right that my answer is that I don't know-but it's actually more than that. My answer is that nobody knows. Re-phrasing your question, what you want to know is when an update or new game will come out that you'll want to apply, and what the requirements will be for that. Even the '5 year' rule you mention wasn't true-it was simply an observation of how frequently updates & new software had been produced in the past. As they always say in the stock market 'past performance is not a predictor of future results'.

7. lloyd6770

lloyd6770

There is not one person in the world who can pinpoint how long your computer will last. No one can say, "Your computer will die in 6 years, 3 months, 17 days. The above answers are exactly true. It all depends on how well you take care of your computer, do you plan on adjusting hardware settings, do you update frequently, how good is your cooling system on your computer, etc. There are way way too many variable to take into account.

8. Irukku

Irukku

That setup would last one more year, max. one year and a half, for me. I use my comp. mostly for gaming, too. :)

9. Brucew0619

Brucew0619

the hardware of computer update faster and faster, maybe 1 or 2 years, some games you can't run fluently.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice