1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How many Hard Drives???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cosmic, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

Going to buy my new computer system tomorrow.

Had this idea for a long time to add two more hard drives in removable racks. Buy three identical hard drives. One as C, One as D installed in a removable rack and a third one as a total back up to C in a rack. Can swap out the D drive to do periodic backups.

So the system would consist of 2 hard drives, CDRwriter and 100 Meg Zip to make it compatable to move info around between my other machines.

What do you think of this idea? Planning on getting smaller hard drives ~40Gb as they should be relatively cheap and should be able to get a deal by buying three.

My thinking is have the backup drive total separate and receive little real wear in daily use. Easy method of periodic backup with enough room to expand for the planned life of the system. Backup is as safe as I can make it. These racks are not the hot swap version but I already got a ton of them I am not using.

Is this a good idea?

2. chakorules

chakorules

This is an EXCELLENT idea, only becuase I do this myself.

All normal motherboards support up to FOUR IDE devices out of the box, unless you get a board that supports on board raid, so there is no problems there with any motherboard you pick

Primary
    hard drive 1 = MASTER IDE 0
    hard drive 2 = SLAVE IDE 1

secondary
    cdrw = MASTER IDE 2
    zip drive = SLAVE IDE 3

I use a small utility called SECOND COPY 2000 to run backups from C drive to D drive.

http://www.centered.com/

Great idea. Go for it!

I also do this on my server. I have five hard drives for everyday in removable racks. It's cheaper to backup to hard drives than TAPE or ZIP disks, and alot faster. So even in my server. I have seven hard drives

(I use an Adaptec IDE adder card to make this happen, give me the extra IDE channels.)

C drive - OS only
    D drive = main data drive for network users
    E drive = monday backup to D drive
    F drive = tuesday backup to D drive
    G drive = wednesday backup to D drive
    H drive = thursday backup to D drive
    I drive = friday backup to D drive

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

I am not familiar with this Adaptec IDE adder card. Could I also add one to my PC myself? How difficult are we talking here?

I also have like ten brand new older 600Meg identical hard drives. Never been used. Could put in another drive and swap out by storage subject. Maybe have a spare IDE channel. So I could wind up eventually with 6 IDE devices.

With a normal PC what kind of problems might I expect trying to mount that many drives. Power supply? Heat? Etc? Be nice to finally be able to use those older drives in a newer PC too.

Is it a hassle to setup? I would probably have to add it myself after I got home. Don't know if the VAR type vendors normally offer such a card. Never see it listed. I buy from these guys that put the systems together as parts and offer many different choices of cards, motherboards, parts, upgrades, etc at computer shows.

If I can't find one there, where is a good place to get one. I really like this idea of not having all the eggs in one basket. If the price is right might even get 3 or 4 swappable D drives all the same. I plan on keeping the system for 4 - 5 years and this method also should keep me from running tight on space on C. Basically nothing will much be there as to storage files. Even in the worse of cases I can't lose much in the way of data.

4. chakorules

chakorules

I've used a Promise FastTrak100 card also. Cheap on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41994&item=3474888423&rd=1

It's really easy to setup. It has it's own BOIS and normally auto detects hard drives you connect to it.

Or since your going shopping, you can shop for an onboard IDE RAID motherboard, if you can still find them in that flavor. The IDE raid controller will give you additional channels of IDE if you want. More than likey you won't find anything today, everything will be SATA raid..................

But if you buy a normal motherboard board, I think you'll have LESS hassles with a Promise FastTrakk ATA100 or an ATA133 adder card. I've installed several of them and I don't have any driver problems in Windows 2000, XP or Windows 98 machines.

5. chakorules

chakorules

Oh I forgot to answer your POWER SUPPLY question.

This will help you:

COMPUTER POWER SUPPLY CALCULATOR

That will be all you need above to figure it out on your own.

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

What kind of mobo do you have? The new Gigabytes can handle 10 drives and have 8 IDE, plus 6 SATA ports :D

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I do a simliar thing with a twist.
    C Primary Master (internal) WindowsME
    D Primary Slave (removable) WindowsXP
    2nd removable Windows 98

If either of the removables is installed they boot and the system runs that OS. If the removable bay is empty, the Primary slave boots (as C) and WinME boots. I do my back-ups to an external USB drive.

8. chakorules

chakorules

Here is a picture of the inside back of my server..freaky...

Attached Files:

9. chakorules

chakorules

Front of server with removable trays.

Attached Files:

10. catlady13

catlady13

I had two of those and was swapping out my OS 's all the time but then the "croaked" . It wasn't the hard drives because when I hooked them up without the internal enclosure they worked just fine. Mind I wonder if perhaps there was some kind of build up on the connection . I never did check that out just left the hard drives hooked up directly after that.

11. chakorules

chakorules

Catlady,

Your right about those trays wearing out. I have two spares just in case they break. I've broken two trays in the last year. They cost $13.00 to cheap for me and I don't mind if they break for that price, I get what I pay for.

But good point about the trays....

12. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I have never worn one out. I do however have a spare receiver, because I only have one installed. I swap 2 enclosures (drawers) into the same receiver.
    I run the WinXP most of the time. I usually only take it out and run WinMe once a week. I use WinME to up-date my website. The program I have always used for that will not run under WinXP. I rarely use the Win98 anymore, it's just there because I have it.

13. catlady13

catlady13

Chako .. was wondering .. do you have ANY idea why they would " break".. the only moving part is the fan .. so it must be a connection thing no ?? some kind of build up ? Have you ever tried cleaning the connections or anything else to fix them ? I haven't and was just wondering if anyone else had ? They are more expensive up here.. as is everything else.. BIG SIGH ..

14. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It would take some real force, but you could break the cam lever that locks it in place, or even the lock mechanism. It is more likely a connection issue though. I would think that would be fixable?

15. chakorules

chakorules

The two I broke, broke in the connector in the back. It actually folded in half. The big FOX CONN connector that connect the tray to the dock snapped off. I guess I pushed to hard and that connector breaks.

I've done it TWICE.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice