how many mb is enough to watch dvds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maximaaa

I'm building a new system and need to know how many MBs should my video card have?
I'll be using a AMD T-Bird 1400MHZ cpu.
is a 32MB agp video card enough? can I get away w/ just 8MB?
Thanks.

32 meg vid cards are more or less standard now, anything less is getting old.
You may want to consider a hardware decoder also

Max19

Account Disabled
With the money you'll spend on a DVD drive, a good video card, and a hardware decoder card, you can buy yourself a good DVD player for your television. I'm sure you have a TV larger than 17". There's really no reason to install a DVD drive on a computer just to watch movies.

wen

you can get away with an 8 mb as long as it has high quality motion compensation for full speed dvd playback.

but with a 1400 mhz, it would be a waist to put in an 8 mb, go for the biggest you can afford.

wen

Max19

Account Disabled
I would NOT recommend a DVD writer. There are multiple standards that are not compatible with each other. There are also compatibility problems between burned DVDs and other CD-ROMs or DVD players. The drives are outrageously expensive, and could easily be obsolete in only a year.

RandyG, I read the very brief article you posted a link to. It doesn't give any reasons why someone should use a DVD drive on a computer to watch movies on a television.

If you were to do that, you'd still need to purchase a very good video card that supports TV-OUT, not all of them do. Then you still won't have a remote, and your computer either needs to sit next to your TV, or you need to run wires through your house to connect the two.

If you only want to watch DVD movies, buy a player for your television.

wen

i have an 8mb card with s-video out, which will transfer the picture to the telly if needed. i use it with my 4.1 surround via the comp. i tend not to use the s-video as it can confuse the brain watching the telly with the sound coming at you from a different direction. but it does work.

wen

personally, I haven't gotten a DVD-Rom yet because what is the point if I can watch it on the bigscreen 20 ft away, and it is much more confortable. The only reason I will buy one at this point is if I plan to use it for things other than watching DVDs. I have my DVD player hooked up to a Yamaha DTS decorder and I get absolutely incredible sound from it. Also, I use high quality parts, such as monster cable (and fiber optics for the audio) If you want that set up from your computer and be able to watch it on your tv, but don't want to put your computer right next to it, then you need a DVDRom, a decoder or what ever, a good sound card, cables running from your computer to your tv, (mind you those cables will nedd to be hard wired someplace, unless you plan to trip over them) and will still need a seperate DTS decoder as I have yet to see a sound card with one. That all gets very expensive, much more than not using your computer. If you are like me and like good quality, you are better off getting a player for your tv. If you have the money, then hell... get both.

maximaaa

I only need the dvd rom in my computer to rip my dvd movies and convert them to vcds.
I already have a playstation 2 that is a dvd player and another 3disc carousel dvd player that is vcd compatible.
I'm not really going to watch dvd movies on my computer, just want to make sure the quality is good when I burn to cds.
Does the video card really affect the quality of the image saved
to my hd and then burnt on a cd?

oh... you didn't mention you already had a dvd player (or a few for that matter) Well you have a good reason to need it on your computer. No, the video card shouldn't effect its quality, just you would need a good vid card to use a tv as your moniter. About the video card though, I would suggest getting as much as you can afford, atleast 32mb. I'm sure you can get away with 8, but you might not be happy with performance, I don't know... it would have to be a good 8mb video card, and it might cost just as much as the next level up. It really is up to how much you want to spend. I would recomend atleast 64mb but that much doesn't really matter. I say go atleast 32.

Sorry, Max19, I wasn't trying to infer you suggested DVD Redorders. I was agreeing about getting a DVD player for the TV, but was excited about DVD Recorders instead. I have been waiting for DVD Recorders for a few years now, and am excited that they are finally on the market. In Ireland I can expect to pay £1500 for one, which is equivalent to $1700. Still too expensive, but I was referring to a stand-alone system, not a DVD-Writer for the PC.

But the first thing on that article about Hardware decoders suggests that the only reason one might want a hardware decoder is for TV Out quality. Also if your system is older, and doesn't have the necessary RAM and processor power for software decoders.

maximaaa - for ripping DVDs, etc, then the graphics card is irrelevant. This would effect the quality of what you are watching on the screen, not the quality of the image you are taking and sending somewhere else. I would think that you would need a good video capture card, but am not sure on this.

At any rate, it would serve no purpose to buy an 8 MB graphics card, when the standard these days is 32 MB.

maximaaa

Thanks guys. I think I'll get the 64meg vid card after all since it will only come out to be $20 more.
RandyG, here in the US, Sony and Pioneer already have DVD writers for sale for $599. Try Bestbuy.com. not sure though if they will ship international.
Thanks again. you guys have been a great help.

yes... I am pretty sure bestbuy will ship international, and I think some manufactures even have those for less than $599 already.

maximaaa- I have a 64mb DDR Raydeon... I really, really like it, well worth the extra $$ it cost for it. (I don't know how many cards have 32 bit true color, but that too is incredible)

wen

is that $599 for a computer based dvd writer? ours come in at about £399 so its not a bad price comparison.
but if yours is a stand alone unit like a dvd player then why the hell are they selling them over here at the cheapest price of £999.

wen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.