1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How many messages can Outlook handle?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Joseph King, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

I'm running W98SE with Outlook 2000 SP-3. I have it set to Internet Only. It stores everything in a single .pst file.

I've never bothered to Archive old messages. We're talking a few years now.

Between messages and attachments, the .pst file is now almost half a gig in size.

Everything's been working fine. I just have to wait a moment when switching to a different folder sometimes, that's all.

Am I going to continue to be okay here, or am I headed for trouble?

I saw a utility on WebAttack.com called Outlook Attachment Sniffer that seems potentially useful for getting some of the volume from those attachments (which surely comprise the vast majority of the .pst file) moved elsewhere while still being "linked" to the appropriate messages. It will take time to use this, though, and then to recover the links when needed (and I'm a bit reluctant to run freeware/shareware).

Then, there's always the standard Archiving.

I'd really rather not mess with it unless it's really necessary. I don't have the time, and I like to find whatever history I need without having to piece things together. I have a business, though, and certainly do NOT want to see it get corrupted, either.

(Of course, I do backups every few days... er, sometimes weeks.)

Do I need to worry about the size of the .pst file?

THANKS!

Joseph King

2. Gram123

Gram123

3. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

Thanks, Gram!

J

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!