1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how many processes should open?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by b1ffyi59, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b1ffyi59

b1ffyi59 Thread Starter

Hello
    My PC has only 256 mb memory and it's an AMD athlon processor at 1.47 gigahertz.I feel 256 should be enough,since I don't have any games on it and use it mostly for internet and making excercises for my wife's English class.I use microsoft word for this and a scanner and ulead photoimpact version 10.
    When I open my PC,I have 27 processes opening at the same time.I removed a few from the start-up menu,but I don't know which other ones I can remove.Of my 256 mb,these processes use up about 225 mb.I feel I could reduce that by half.

I would like to copy the list of processes here,I tried to insert a photo of that window,but it keeps asking me a url to take the photo from,as if people didn't have photos on their computer.
    Please if anyone could tell me either what processes should be opened or maybe tell me how I can copy the window from task manager to a thread.
    Thank you

2. golferbob

golferbob

3. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

And another site dealing with Windows XP services.

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

Study it, then you will be able to safely shoot down a dozen of unnecessary services.
    In case you have something else than Windows XP, there should be around another site like this for Win NT or Win 2k.

4. Onorato

Onorato

Go to run and type in "msconfig" Then you will see startup, and uncheck the programs you KNOW that you don't want to start up. If you don't know them, leave them alone.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are seeking an answer to a question that should have never been asked. Unless you have errant processes running that are actually creating problems, any performance gains you get by disabling a few processes won't be measurable.

Don't fix stuff that isn't broke! :rolleyes:

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Depending on the operating system 256MB of RAM might just not be enough. It's pretty low for anything other than Windows 95/98/ME. Windows 2000 & XP require a good amount of memory just to function. That's the way it is. I agree that in theory 256MB should be enough, but it doesn't work that way.

7. b1ffyi59

b1ffyi59 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers.
    Now,I have 31 processes running using 338960k in the commit charge.with only 256 mb memory,my system has to use virtual memory.And,the only application running is internet explorer.
    Jean-Guy Roberge

8. ANC-Guy

ANC-Guy

Concentrate on closing programs at startup. As mentioned in another post, you can do that thru msconfig, Startup. Alternatively, download Startup Inspector from http://www.windowsstartup.com/. It provides some help in figuring out what is required and what is optional.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have 64 processes running and 699mb of memory used. However, you really need to look at those processes and see how many of them are actually active, some of them just sit around and wait to be invoked. Sitting in the swap file, they don't cause any performance hit.

I'd also agree that 512mb is the sweet spot for XP, 256mb is a bit low.

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I may be wrong but XP always seems to use the page file (VM) irregardless of memory installed.

I have a 1 GB installed, 608 MB available and PF usage is 299 MB. Running 40 processes.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice