How many Recovery CD's are needed for Windows XP Home?

Krish108

I have an IBM NetVista a22p and would like to know how many recovery cd's I need. I have only found two in my home and am wondering if there are more. Please let me know.

Krish108

Thank you for the replies. I have read those manuals before but have not had any success finding information on the Recovery CD's. The problem I have is I upgraded this PC to Windows 7 and it is running extremely slow now with a Pentium 4 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, 40gb hdd. I really need the recovery cd's to get it back to windows xp.

TerryNet

Terry
Well, I browsed that first manual and from it I inferred that for XP the Recovery would fit on one CD or sometimes require two. Why not just try and see how far you get?

Krish108

That's a good idea but I am scared that I will be stuck in the middle of the formatting process and will be left with an unusable machine with no OS

TerryNet

Terry
It's not likely that formatting (if you even do that) will fail. Even if the recovery fails you can always reinstall Windows 7. Actually, reinstalling Windows 7 is what I would advise, but you only asked about the XP recovery.

Krish108

Thank you for the reply. The reason that I am trying to get it back to XP is because the machine runs very slowly with Windows 7 after upgrading it. Do you think I can recover it with 2 cd's?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Perhaps do a fresh install of Windows 7 instead of the upgrade... Upgrading may bring in problems from Windows XP.

As to 2 CDs, if I remember the days of yore, I think 1 CD was for the OS and the other was for drivers/utilities/etc.

I would suggest to make sure you have the drivers on hand on a USB stick/separate CD if you can.

Krish108

When I installed Windows 7 I did a clean install, I think the reason it is slow is due to the lack of RAM (only 1gb). Before upgrading I researched a bit and saw people were running Windows 7 perfectly fine with 1GB RAM. Thanks for the advice I will have the driver on hand. Do you think that I will be able to restore it with 2 cd's?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If one of the two is a system restore CD, then yes.

Krish108

They are both system restore cd's. I found two of these in my home and am wondering if there are any more. Just fyi that one cd has 650 mb of data and the other has only 250 mb. Will that restore the system back to XP?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
No offense, but you probably should convert that 18-year old dinosaur to a door stop or a paper weight.
I wouldn't bet any money on a factory reset working to a successful completion.
Good luck with it.

-------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To answer your question, it's most likely the one that has 650MB is the first disc, and the second one may not be needed (like I mentioned, it's probably has tools/utilities/drivers etc). The setup will tell you if you need it, but there would be no other discs then those two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online