How many Recovery CD's are needed for Windows XP Home?

plodr

Liz
I'm not sure if XP will boot from a CD. In the dim recesses of my mind I remember something about needing a boot floppy that had the driver for the CD drive (Oak something) so it would be bootable.

The recovery partition did not become corrupt. The OP destroyed it doing a clean install of Windows 7. A clean install overwrote the recovery partition. It no longer exists.
If the CD depends on a recovery partition to do its work, and the recovery partition is gone, the CD isn't going to work.

My advice: skip trying to reinstall XP. You have a working computer. Granted it is very slow but at least it works.

Try to increase the RAM if possible to make it a bit faster. I'm not sure what the maximum RAM is for that ancient of a computer.

This is the only thing I'll post on your issue.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG

Those CD's are dated September 2001 (when Windows XP was originally released), so CD1 does not contain a service pack.

Once you boot from CD1, the hard drive wipe and factory reset process should start.

CD2 should contain the device drivers and any optional apps and tools.

I also agree we're going around in circles here, so I'm also going to remove myself from this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Krish108

I am confused because neither CD1 or CD2 contain any setup files OR drivers.

TerryNet

Terry
Maybe they are Recovery CDs. Were you able to boot to the first one? If so, what were the choices given?

I never had XP Recovery CDs, but know that Vista, 7 and 8.1 Recovery DVDs are bootable (the first one) and don't explicitly have setup or driver files.

Krish108

I was able to boot in to the first one. The only choice was to "Restore Windows XP back to factory condition and reinstall all applications and drivers"

TerryNet

Terry
Verification that at least the first (and surely the second) is a Recovery CD.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am confused because neither CD1 or CD2 contain any setup files OR drivers.
If i remember correctly, oem recovery CDs don't have the files as you would normally see; it's proprietary to the machine for it to read... but that was a long, long, long time ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online