1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How many updates are there for Windows 7 Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lu Zhun, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Hello. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an exact amount of updates that have come out from Microsoft that the Windows Update tool sees and can download? I was wondering because I have been having issues with Windows Update just continuously searching and not finding anything (left on for hours) and so I had to update using an offline method which comes with a certain amount of them. I tried deleting the cache from the Software Distribution folder to make the Update tool reset and that did not work. I also tried the Microsoft Fix it patches with no success. I used the offline updater as a last option. Is there around 300 updates in total as of today?

Thank you for the information! :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Service Pack 1(SP1) for Windows 7(all versions) was released in March 2011 - over 5 years ago.
    Since that time, well over 200 important/recommended updates have been released.

If a "Check for updates" is done right after an install of Windows 7 SP1 is done, the searching process can take several hours before the list is displayed.

There have been some changes in the last few months on how to improve and speed up the "Check for updates" process.
    I plan to do a test install of Windows 7 SP1 after August 9th and hopefully come up with a sequence of steps that works.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Very cool! I will check with you after the 9th to see if you have come up with anything. I have left the computer on literally over 4+ hours and if I remember correctly, I had left it on an entire night letting it try to find anything and it just keeps searching and that's it. The offline update method came with around 190 updates but there are probably another 100 or so that may still need to be added somehow. :cool:

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    After I do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, I remove unneeded/unwanted Windows components before doing a "check for updates".
    That reduces the number of important/recommended updates by quite a few, but there's still well over 200 of them.

These are the current steps I have, but that's likely to change after August 9th.
    1. Do a clean install of Windows 7 SP1.
    2. Install April 2015 servicing pack update (KB3020369).
    3. Install convenience rollup (KB3125574).
    4. Launch Windows Update.
    Note: A restart is needed after each step.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Very good information. What are some of the unneeded/unwanted Windows components that you remove? Can you temporarily disable them without having to remove them?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The "Media features" are the primary ones that I uncheck and remove because I have no need for them.
    (Note: I use VLC Media Player for watching videos and listening to music)
    Doing that prevents all the media-related updates from appearing.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I just performed a fresh install of Win7 Home Premium 64bit w/sp1 last Sunday (and I installed Office Word/Excel/Outlook). After Windows update finally populated (it took just over 10 hours) with updates, there were 191 @ 1.9GB.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I can almost guarantee you that after you install that first batch of 191 updates and then do a restart and then do another "check for updates", there'll be several more updates to install.
    Microsoft Office will add several updates to the list.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice