1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How much can I overclock my E6750 (with the stock cooler)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captainmk, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainmk

captainmk Thread Starter

How much would i be able to overclock my Core 2 Duo processor with the stock cooler and without having the risk of the CPU damaging or frying? Would I be able to make it to 3.00GHz? Because I'd be happy with that :p

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

You won't be happy at all. You'll just end up frying the processor.

3. captainmk

captainmk Thread Starter

really :eek: care to explain why, and if you're completely sure about that?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Each processor, motherboard, and memory is different. One person may hit 3Ghz and another may not be able to raise it more then a few Mhz. There is no magic formula and its all done on trial and error. And there's always a risk in damaging something, corrupting your software installations, or causing instability.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would really doubt 3.0 and why risk it that cpu is so well priced . It's a shame the 6850 is $100 more.

6. captainmk

captainmk Thread Starter

OK I will not be overclocking then, thanks for the warnings and the heads up :)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How long is a rope?
    Seriously there is no cut and dry answer for your question. An overclock depends on many things; quality of motherboard, power supply, ram just to name a few.

I agree if you want a 3gig c2d, then buy one. Do not buy a slower one and expect to overclock it. Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace. Even experienced OCs sometimes fry parts.

8. captainmk

captainmk Thread Starter

OK then I won't, thanks for the information. However some people were even suggesting I could overclock my e6750 up to 3.6GHz before I bought the parts???

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sure as long as it isn't theirs....it would be easier and less painful to throw the chip away than do that.

10. captainmk

captainmk Thread Starter

Haha, I see, thanks anyway :D

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

You read about some of the fantastic speeds some of the overclockers claim, but strangely enough you never read about the longevity of the processor at those speeds.

12. tony oh

tony oh

I know all these guys are right .... but I can appreciate your difficulty.

I'm still waiting on a different processor and already even shops are giving guarantees about how high they will overclock.

i.e. gladiator computers are guaranteeing 3.4 ghz Q6600 ... but no guarantee on how long they last.

If you google overclocking and E6750 I'm sure you will see ppl saying they have their e6750 at 4.0 ghz on air .. different cooler.

It makes it all rather confusing.

13. nyestman

nyestman

Its simple,and not risky .I use every cpu oc and never any problem.( But I use a cpu 1-2 year! Not 10 years or more !! Longer use may cause some problem)

Go to Bios

Lower the DRAM frequency to 667MHZ from 800Mhz (if u have good oc ram or beter this step not needed)

Set ur PCIe frequency asincron( higher fsb can do problems with videocard in sincron mode)

Increase the FSB to 400MHz(most mobo can do this speed if not antituning mobo :D ) from 333Mhz.
    When you do this ur DRAM frequency will increase to 800MHz so itll be running on stock speed, No OC on Ram

u got 3.2GHz c2d ;)

Run some test program orthos,prime etc.

14. scifi43

scifi43

Useing the E6750 2.66mhz in a ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard, with Corsair DDR2 2x2024 800 ram, Gforce 7600 video card, Corsair VX 550w power supply. Aftermarket tower CPU cooler. So far I have pushed to 3.53mhz very very stable. With a few more tweeks may get 3.6mhz. Just be very carefull on the voltage. I never go over 1.5v on Vcore. With stock cooler never over 1.4v. Another suggestion would be to add case fans. HEAT IS A KILLER!!!!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/612031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice