1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Much Electricity Does A Computer Use Per Hour?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

Jul 8, 2001
    HOW MUCH ELECTRICITY DOES A COMPUTER USE PER HOUR? Arguement going on a home on high electric bills,anyone have a rough idea how much electricity a computer(pen4) uses? i thought i read somewhere about 25 cents an hour
  2. wtxcowboy

May 25, 2004
    if ur pc has a 300w power supply, it's like leaving 3 100w bulbs on all the time :)
  3. winbob

Aug 2, 2004

That is, at the maximum. The unit does not draw the PS's max rating unless the demand is there.

If you have an older CRT display, it probably uses more power than the PC itself. So compromise and shut it off when not in use.

As for the Co$t, that will depend on the price per KW Hour in your area, check your bill. If you were using 333Watts, that would be 1/3 KWH.
  4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    winbob is correct, it's unlikely to be drawing 300 watts, or anything close. OTOH, I've checked the power consumption of this P4-3.2ghz machine with three hard disks, two optical drives, and two 19" LCD monitors attached. The whole shooting match is drawing 220 watts when active, and around 100 when the monitors go into standby and the disks spin down. Unfortunately, the true RMS wattmeter wasn't mine, and it's gone home with it's owner, so I can't do any more tests. :)
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/379614