1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How much memory should a game use in task manager?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SandKing1740, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SandKing1740

SandKing1740 Thread Starter

Hi! I just bought a new laptop about a week ago and its a very good one.
    It has a Intel core I7 processor and it also has NVIDIA GEFORCE (its not a laptop with the gaming design).
    So i have heard that i can play games on it, and do my studies (graphic design). So they said this laptop is perfect for that.

Now i have downloaded a game called "VRChat". And my laptop starts making a loud noice (the fan), and its becoming a bit hot from bellow. I think its normal because i'm playing a game, and its also online with alot of people, but then i opened Task Manager and saw that this game is using 2gb Memory.
    Below the "Memory" column there is a list of all the apps using memory, all of them have a yellow color, But my game has a red one because it uses 2gb memory.

Is that normal? or will my memory lose 2/3 gb everytime i play it? please someone help me with this i need to know. I need to keep this laptop save.

Sorry for my bad english,
    Thank you!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    A game is going to use a lot of memory. If it's getting hot you may want to buy a laptop cooling fan pad to help it stay cool or it could potentially overhear and damage itself.

3. SandKing1740

SandKing1740 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply,

So now i know that its normal for a game to use alot/a big amount of memory (depends on what game).
    Now my question is, Will my computer lose 2gb everytime i open this game? I have 150 GB left now. If i open this game right now, will my memory be 148 GB?

Thank you very much,

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I want to make sure you understand the difference between RAM and memory. The 150 GB memory you are referring to is the amount of memory/storage space on the hard drive in the system. The RAM or Random Access Memory is what you see in task manager. They are 2 very different things. RAM is utilized in a temporary state to allow you to do several things at once, whereas storage space in a HDD/SSD is used for long term storage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!