1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How much of my DSL is effected by 2 PC running at same time...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sifter, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sifter

sifter Thread Starter

Hi...

I have DSl at 768 KBPS Down and 128 up . I have 1 PC connected via a router etc. I am a big gamer and if I play on Servers in my own country I ping around 70 - 80 or so.

Now then my question is?

A friend of mine wants to come around and hook his PC in to my Router and play online as well as he hasnt got a Flat rate and it ends up getting expensive. If he connects to my router will there be much difference to my Ping. I mean does it double or not. I just wondered how much we will suffer if any at all.

As much advice and information on this will be great..I thank any one in advance who replies...

May be a definition etc..

2. Calculon

Calculon

While this will double the traffic going through your router and dsl line, you are nowhere near your maximum capacity on those. So the short form is you won't ever notice the increase of traffic in terms of slower speed etc.

Fellow gamer who's been there & tried that. javascript:smilie(':)')
    smile

3. sifter

sifter Thread Starter

So you think that with both of us online playing games we will both be running around 70 - 80 ping with no diff to what was before..

Visit my site fellow gamer..

=BoB=

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It obviously will have some effect, the amount will have to be proven by actual testing. I have had as many as 10 computers on my broadband cable connection, and unless several are doing large downloads, you can't tell they're there.

5. Del

Del

I have DSL and 2 machines connected via a router.
    When we were one cable on one and DSL on the other we played games online, then got a router and got rid of cable.
    We play the same games and don't notice a difference.
    The packets sending and receiving normally don't collide.
    If I do a 1 meg download test at exactly the same time on both machines, then the download speed shows a large drop.
    SO, playing games, you probably won't notice a differents, if you were both downloading large files or movies, you would see the difference.

6. sifter

sifter Thread Starter

OK well thx guys so he can come around and we get the show on the road..Many thx

:D

7. strongbad

strongbad

my only question is...
    with a fast internet connection, who needs friends?
    :p

8. Del

Del

Everyone needs friends? RIGHT

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!