1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How much power does an internal PCI Tv tuner consume ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mark.assad, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark.assad

mark.assad Thread Starter

Hello.
    I am thinking of buying a tv tuner since i got a 22 inch pc screen, so why not make good use of it ?!
    Im afraid of 1 thing, my PSU is only 550 Watt Thermaltake, i have a Geforce 9800GTX+ installed, and the Gpu requires a psu with at least 500 Watt, im sure that the "500" includes a pc as a whole, and not the gpu only, but im afraid that if i add the tv tuner, i will be over loading my system or anything ? I only have 1 HD installed and 1 Dvd writer...

Do you think installing an internal PCI tv tuner will risk over loading ?
    As an alternative, i can buy an external USB one, or the one that doesnt even need a computer to use, but both cost almost twice the internal's price.

2. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

I would buy the external tv tuner or get a bigger PSU

3. mark.assad

i bought the PSU 1 month ago noway im changing

4. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

I understand. just check the system requirements of the internal tv tuner you with to purchase make sure it don't need a lot of power. if it were me, I'd get the external one though

5. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

A pci card will typically draw between 5w and 10w per card.

Extract from 'PC Format, issue 216/Aug2008.

6. BG-0

BG-0

The GPU power requirements are made through testing the cards in systems with high-end CPUs, and a mid-low quality PSU, your PSU is most possibly mid-high quality, being a TT. And the amount is for whole system. And as you have only 1 HD and DVD drives, you'll propably be fine.. You could also, just for fun mostly, calculate using: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

7. mark.assad

hmm still not sure, but what if i buy an external one that doesnt need to have the computer on to work, the Tv Box watever its called, will that affect on the Pc graphics since im connecting my geforce to the Tv box, then connecting it to the lcd screen ?

8. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

that should work just fine that way you can use it on more than one computer

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice