1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How much space does compression on a ntfs volume give?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jVirus, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

I am just wondering how much compression my ntfs hard volume will get when compression is checked. It is a drive I use for mostly storage, a 120gig volume. Not like I am needing it for performance or anything. I have it already enabled and I have some 50 gigs used. I am just wondering how much space it is saving?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It depends on what you're storing on the drive. If you're storing already compressed stuff like ZIP and MP3 files, you'll gain nothing by attempting to compress them. If you store Excel spreadsheets, you'll pick up tons of space, they normally compress to 10-20% of their uncompressed size.

3. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

What about things such as divx files or various programs, pictures (jpg)?

4. JohnWill

DIVX and JPG are both compressed formats, no gains will be realized by trying to compress them again.

5. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

k thanks. I do wonder though like for instance like .ace or like .zip they are both compressors, one i would suppose do a better job than the other maybe making it smaller? with the disk compression would it not be that microsoft compression maybe would be tighter than other forms?

6. JohnWill

Well, you're free to try it, but the only effect is going to be slower disk access, and probably more space taken up by the files. :rolleyes: The idea that Microsoft's on-the-fly compression would be more efficient than ZIP, ACE, or RAR brings a smile to my face. :D

7. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

k thanks. im all cleared up. :)

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

ACE does a better job than ZIP usually... very nice program, best compressor utility on the market (It also compresses ZIP, LHA, TAR and other formats) - best intereface, super easy to use.

WinZIP ugh... in comparison.

In the age of cheap HDs... I don't bother with compression... as other said... Large amounts of data: Mp3s, picture files, Movies, are already compressed. And if you compress Appliactions and games - then they will run slower... your system will run slower as the CPU now has to DECOMPRESS the data as it loads it.

And if you have HD failiure... imagine the fun of dealing with that mess... UGH I remember those Windows31 days of "compressed" drives... :( nightmares... Think I'll go sulk in a corner now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice