1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How much to a swap partition if I've got 1Gb of RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stiltzkin, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I've been told to give about twice the amount of RAM I have in HDD space to a swap partition, but I've also been told that too big of a swap partition is sluggish. So, I've a got a gig of RAM and Windows XP. How big do you guys think I should make my swap partition? (The hardware forum was the closest I could come to an appropriate posting grounds for this...)

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Stiltzkin
    Unless you are doing some very heavy duty graphics you will be hard pressed to even use 1GB of Ram let alone any significant amount in a Temp Swap partition. If you are dead set on allocating a fixed amount to a swap partition then use equal size to RAM and let windows handle the swap management on upper end. Double would be a bit much IMHO.
    I have 512MB of RAM and run very heavy graphics at times and my Win386.swp is 151MB currently with Windows handling it all. So theoretically I could add another 256MB of RAM and never use Virtual at all.

Dave

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

I've disabled virtual memory and things run faster, only way to know is to bench before and after you disable virtual memory

Cheers

4. codejockey

codejockey

I agree with the other posters who recommend a minimal swap file space (zero is optimal, IMHO). You have plenty of RAM -- more than you are likely to use in the near future, anyway -- and so there's no need to swap at all. Disable virtual memory; you don't need swap at all.

Hope this helps.

5. slipe

slipe

I have a Gig of RAM and the computer still uses a little virtual memory. I have read many places it is a bad idea to completely disable virtual memory on an XP machine.

This is a good read on VM in XP: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm I downloaded the little VM tracker program from Don Knox that is linked on the site and found the computer is actually using a little VM as everyone said it would. I have a 50Mb page file on my boot drive and a larger one on my second hard drive. You will get a message that the computer canÂ’t do a debug file if you take the VM much below a Gig on the boot drive with a Gig of RAM. Most people think it is useless and can be ignored.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can set the dump to the small 64kb dump to avoid that message. Personally, I let Windows manage the virtual memory nowadays.

7. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I have read and been told that it is not good to disable the swap, in XP at least. Anyway, I do a lot of heavy duty graphics, so I want to be safe and keep the swap. That site, Slipe, is helpful, thanks. Looking around for more info, it seems that for my situation theres a good argument to have maybe a 100mb min swap (Even with a gig of ram. I do a lot of various graphic-heavy work, and I often have many programs open at the same time) and something not much bigger for the max, like 200, 300 (as oppose to the 700 or 800 suggested in that site Slipe gave. It says that more headroom can't hurt, but considering the amount of RAM I have and also considering that I've heard the more swap space the more sluggish it gets, I'll keep it at 200 or 300.) And I'll set the small dump. Thanks for the help! Let me know if anyone disagrees with what I've figured.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice