1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how much to charge for building a server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtn3833, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

i do freelance tech support for small businesses and families, as i'm sure many on this forum do also.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to be asked to build a server for a small business i'm working with. i've never done this before (i understand the basics and concept though), so i have two questions:

1- does this tutorial look good: http://www.intac.net/build-your-own-server/

2- how much should i charge? i think i would be building it from scratch which would entail buying all of the parts.

should i just do a flat fee (+parts) or bill them for the time it takes to put it together?

i've looked on this forum and the closest question to this one was posted in 2008, so i'm looking for updated info.

thanks for your time and help,
    jtn

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Honestly, I would just buy a pre-made server, Dell has nice small business servers for about 500 bucks, and you can upgrade from there. You would struggle to make a decent server for that price.

Software depends what the server is doing, and how many people are connecting to it.

I would just have them pay for the server, and charge a flat fee to install and configure it. what price would depend how much configuration we are talking here.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Who's going to manage and support this server when you're done? Does someone at this business know how to use Linux? Is there a reason you're following the instructions at the link you posted besides the fact that it's the first link in a Google search for "how to build a server"?

4. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

ChRoNo16 - thinking about it, it does seem more cost effective to have them buy one with a good name behind it and a warranty. i'll probably go with that idea. the poweredge T110 II looks ideal.

now, what about software- i don't think any more than 10 people would connect to it, and probably almost never at the same time, though it would be wireless for most of them, if it matters. nothing too heavy, just a common place for them to store, retrieve and share files. that should all be handled with MS small business server 2011, right?

DoubleHelix - that tutorial had some good comments, and looked easy to follow. i doubt anyone there knows linux, but neither do I. i figure i'll support it if needed.

thanks,
    jtn

5. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

I think SBS 2011, or server 2008 would be fine. Whatever comes standard on the system, you can still do simple file shares and such even if its a full server version.

But yes, this sounds good. as well as wireless though I would be sure the system has a wired connection if possible, just in case. I never like to have servers on wireless

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You posted a link for setting up a Linux server, but you don't know how to use Linux? And now you're talking about Microsoft SBS? You just took the company's costs from $0 to $500+ for licensing costs alone.

Connecting to a network wirelessly has nothing to do with a file server.

To be blunt, I don't think you're right person for the job.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice