1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How often should I shutdown my PC?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by art-by-andy, Aug 10, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. art-by-andy

art-by-andy Thread Starter

I work on my PC all day, everyday. I was told to shutdown at night. I was also told to keep it running all the time except for the occassional reboot. Is there one good answer?

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I'm not here to answer you just to say....welcome to TSG Andy! :) But I do shut mine down after each use...of course right now I have to shut it down with the power button as it just gets BSOD every time I try to shut it down! Conflict with my scanner is what I think!

3. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

My system is on its 12th consecutive day of up-time. I never shut it down other then to preform maintenance.

There are three major things to consider when making a decision to keep your computer on all the time or shutting it down.

1. Every time you start up the computer you put wear and tear on the HDD's and the PowerSupply

2. Ventilation. If your computer is properly ventilated and runs at a respectable temp then it is safe to keep it on for long periods. Remember that heat is the number one enemy of all electronics

3. Your operating system. Resource intensive operating systems like windows need the memory to be flushed once in a while. A restart can accomplish this. If you using an OS like Linux then don't worry about that.

Hope I helped ya out.

Oh yea, Welcome to TSG :cool:(y)

4. katonca

katonca

Good info OS (y)

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Early windows-- 9x didn't seem consistant in going into sleep mode.
    On my 98se machine, I don't trust it to always turn off the hard drives and restart them properly, so it's configured to always be on. I do manually turn it off at night.

My Mom has a laptop with XP that is configured to go into hibernation and it works perfectly.
    I've seen uptimes on it of over 6 months.

6. bomb #21

bomb #21

OS, you know loads more about systems than I. May I add that if you're going to keep it on overnight, some kind of surge protection would be essential (wouldn't it?)

rgds,
    bomb

7. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Surge protection would not be any more essential overnight then it is through the day. Surges can come at any time, regardless of the conditions (aka T-Storm or Clear Sky) or your electrical company. I strongly recommend using ether a SP or UPS on all your computers at all times. Also, surge protectors that only protect electrical things plugged into them wont do. Buy something that allows you to also surge protect Cable and Phone lines. Though these are more expensive, it is alot cheaper then frying your computer.

Good point bomb ;)

8. angelize56

OS: So am I damaging my pc by shutting it down every time with the power button?? :eek:

9. bomb #21

bomb #21

From your recent descriptions it sounds like your comp is made of concrete & would take a steamroller to damage it. :p ( ;) )

10. angelize56

:D Six years and like a Timex...still ticking and with very few problems! ;) *Knocking on wood*:D

11. bomb #21

bomb #21

12. angelize56

Thanks bomb! :) I'll check it out after dinner! :)

13. WarC

WarC

Modern PCs are designed to be able to operate 24/7.

That is in line with the demands placed on workstation PCs and servers, most of which are expected to run for years without interruption.

However, it is generally a good idea to shut down your PC at night.

There are several reasons. One, power consumption. Two, dust accumulation. Three, component integrity. The more you have the system on the more likely a component will fail. This is true for the power supply in particular, the component which will be most stressed by your leaving the machine on for an extended amount of time. In addition, While the computer is on the harddrive will still be active (unless in standby or sleep mode), occasionally reading or writing data to the disks.

Typically I turn my home computer off whenever I'm not using it. Mostly because the dust buildup is bad there and I have to clean out the PC's fans every few months. The dust buildup effects my overclocks and pushes my vid card's temps too high for comfort (of course I'm a tuner and a nitpicker - I treat my PC like a gearhead treats their hobby car). My work computer I leave on for the entire week and shut off fridays before I go home. It has fewer fans (fewer moving parts) and the environment is a lot cleaner, so I feel better about leaving it on.

Plus it doesn't cost me anything if the work computer takes a crap. (y)

14. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

A Hard shutdown (or just cutting the power to a computer) isn't necessarily bad for the hardware, though I think it screws up windows a bit.

Its the on/off/on/off you should worry about. Every time the HDD spins up from 0 to 7200 RPM's on boot it puts a bit of a strain on the motor in the HDD. Not alot, but a bit. Every time this happens the lifespan of the drive drops jut a small tad. Natural wear and tear, you can't prevent it. However, you can reduce the amount of times he drive is subjected to that stress by keeping your computer on and not turning it on to do one task, turning it off and then turning it back on an hour later to preform another task.

15. bomb #21

bomb #21

When my comp breaks down, I want that guy. (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice