Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How old is an HP dk1046Nr laptop

Solved 
3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  muckmail 
#1 ·
How old is an HP dk1046Nr laptop?
I can not find the manufacture date on that laptop.

Thanks

#2 ·
Can you see the Serial number? If not, is the machine operable? If you can get into Windows, or at least a command prompt, type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter. this should provide you with the 12-13 digit serial number, providing the board was not replaced or if it was, the tech put the correct SN.

#5 ·
Based on the specs here:
https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06643079

It has an Athlon Silver 3050U CPU, and that was released on January 6, 2020 (link).

Based on the support site here:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...1000-laptop-pc-series/32591219/model/35610506

The first BIOS release is dated Nov 29, 2019 and all other drivers have later release dates.
So a Q4 2019 release date would be a good guess.

Note that that Athlon CPU is comparable to a 7th gen i3 for laptops, which was released in Q4 2017.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Athlon-Silver-3050U-vs-Intel-i3-7130U/3720vs3120

#9 ·
The HP Laptop 14-dk1046nr comes with a decent processor for general use.

cpu.JPG

It comes with a non-removable 4 GB module of DDR4-2400 MHz RAM.
Adding an 8 GB DDR4-2400 MHz module to its empty slot would allow it to run with 12 GB.

If it's in very good shape and everything works fine, $150.00 is a good price for it.

The 14" screen is small for people who have impaired vision or just want a larger display.
That's why I stick with 17" or larger screen models.

--------------------------------------------------

#11 ·
I have no way of knowing how easy or difficult it is to replace its HDD with a SSD.
That would be a good move though because it would improve speed and snappiness.

If you want to add another 4 GB module and run it with 8 GB of RAM, that's fine.
If its non-removable 4 GB module is DDR4-2400 MHz speed, you should add a 4 GB module of the same speed.
You cannot add and use a DDR3 module.

-------------------------------------------------

#12 ·
It is not difficult to replace the drive. You will need a 7mm SATA SSD.

Here is the service manual. Page 36 is the directions. (note - you may need to right click > click Save Link as downloads from HP seem to get blocked by browsers... or at least for me :))

#19 ·
It depends, on the CPU and the age/use of out it before hand. Having said that an SSD is more better technically than a HDD. I replaced my son's HDD in his *lemon* Dell and it made a slight difference.

Is the memory upgradable?

I was reading the service in the link above and it is says
"Memory is non-customer accessible/non-upgradeable"

Are you stuck with the original memory configuration
that it comes with?
As noted by Frank, this machine has a 4GB non-removable memory so that one you cannot change, but you can add one more in the additional slot that is shown on page 42 of the service manual I provided the link to.

#17 ·
Adding 8mb for 12 mb is the max memory that a person can get out of it
with the non-removable 4 mb of memory it has. Is that correct?

I guess I could connect a larger external screen monitor to be pass the 14" monitor.
Is that correct?

Thank you,

#18 ·
Is the memory upgradable?

I was reading the service in the link above and it is says
"Memory is non-customer accessible/non-upgradeable"

Are you stuck with the original memory configuration
that it comes with?

The manual gave different memory configurations but it said memory
configurations are not accessible. I don't understand that

Thank you,

#24 ·
I have serveral DDR3 laptops with the screen size I want that
I could upgraded. I think I would have simular preformace with
one of the.

The fact that I would have to plug it into a monitor to seriously use it
could be a problem I may not use it even if I made the purchase.

How does the Security Lock work on it? Is there a separate part for that?

Thanks

#29 ·
It's HP 15-g069cl (l not i), and s/n CND435707D :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...duct-info?sku=J5T30UA&serialnumber=CND435707D

CPU: AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 APU << AMD Athlon Silver 3050U (comparison)
MEM: 8 GB DDR3L-1866 (single channel) vs 4GB DDR4-2400 (single channel) = more but slower memory. Should add one memory stick to both for more memory plus dual channel.
Video: AMD Radeon R5 graphics < AMD Radeon RX Vega 2, but both suck for gaming.
Display: 15.6-inch (1366x768) vs 14-inch (1366x768). So neither are full HD (1920x1080).
HD: 750 GB 5400 RPM vs 500 GB 5400 RPM. Upgrade both to SSD.

The HP 15-g069cl does have win 10 drivers available from HP, so it could be upgraded to win 10.

HP dk1046Nr is a marginal improvement over HP 15-g069cl, but not sure you will notice anything other than the smaller screen. I'd either invest in memory / ssd / windows upgrades for HP 15-g069cl, or save up to spend more on a better laptop.

#30 ·
I don't think It not worth spending $100+ on the small screen HP dk1046Nr for
marginal improvement over HP 15-g069cl. Especially since I already the HP 15-g069cl.

Its not going to be a gaming machine I think I might give the HP 15-g069cl a try by putting
a solid state drive in it.

I guess it would take a 3" x 2" Solid State drives. I don't think I could use
the newer single drive that looks like a memory stick. Is that correct?

I guess Newegg is a possible vender to get that SS drive.

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.