1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How one can make windows secure

Discussion in 'General Security' started by zergpc208, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

What settings do I have to go in to tighten up the OS ?

Other than getting Antivirus , Firewall ,AntiMalware , good router with security and addons like NoScript what more can one do . Is Norton or Kaspersky the best Antivirus out there if one has money? I hear that SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes are the best AntiMalware .

I hear spybot search and destroy and adware SE are not has good like thay used to be before at removing malware .

I belive that spybot search and destroy pro or SuperAntispyware have real time blocking where Malwarebytes and adware SE are just tools to remove malware.

Other than getting these programs , turning UAC up really high and browsing the internet with standard or guest account what more can I do to secure the OS.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    The impression I've got (though I use the free version of Avast) is that the best paid AV are Kaspersky and Nod32, with Kaspersky being the better.

Most important is being sensible in what you do and don't do (Avoid file sharing, don't run programs from the internet if possible, don't execute viruses when you see them on a flash drive...)

The other two tricks I'd suggest: number one is running untrusted programs (and in particular web browsers) in a sandbox. One example is sandboxie.
    Number two is to disable autorun completely with a registry edit to prevent removable disk viruses from executing themselves.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

What version of Windows are using ? ( XP, Vista or Win7 )

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

The term you are looking for is "harden Windows XP/Vista/Windows7". Try googling for that.

5. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I have one computer running windows vista and other running windows 7.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The greatest security threat is the user. All the software and settings in the world will not protect you against yourself.

I have security software installed, but it only detected threats a couple of times, and once was when a legitimate site was hacked. And I don't do any of the other things you mentioned.

People think security software will protect them, and it does in some cases. But when you decide to visit a questionable site and click allow/ignore/run/etc. because you absolutely have to see that funny video or a link someone sends you in a chat session, all that is out the window.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi zergpc208,

I started a thread a long time ago about hardening Vista: http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/829647-locking-down-windows.html

And here is a link that has additional updated measures: http://bulletproof-windows.blogspot.com/

Also, have a look at the blog project on hardening XP, below in my signature line. It is up to date on all security settings one could perform. Some parts are specific to XP. But the principles apply to all versions of Windows.

Find the section Software Restriction Policy for XP Home. In that section, the 2 registry blocks are exported from a Vista Professional machine. And they work in Vista Home / Home Premium as well as XP.

Also another section of the blog project deals with Intrusion Detection, look for Part 2. It deals with establishing baselines with which you can detect tampering of your machine. This part is common to all versions of Windows.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice