How restore reg with unshown name?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grandpaw7

I want to restore my registry to an earlier date than the five that show up when I go to C:prompt and get scanreg/retore because none of the five predate my problem. How do I do that?

I have replaced the five in MaxBackupCopies with fifteen, but I don't know how to get an earlier one in a position where I can restore it. I still can see only the five in Windows>scanregw.exe and in scanreg/restore.

NOTE: I JUST OPENED A THREAD WITH A LONG WINDED POST IN WINDOW ABOUT MY INABILITY TO CONNECT VIA MSN. IN IT, I GIVE PART OF MY LIFE HISTORY AND ALSO ASK ABOUT THE SAME QUESTION I ASK HERE. BUT I'M AFRAID IT IS TO WORDY THAT IT MAY GET IGNORED. I WROTE TO HELPONTHE.NET TO SEE IF I COULD POST THIS THREAD BUT RECEIVED A REPLY THAT SUCH LETTERS CAN'T BE ANSWERED BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF THEM AND TO JUST GO AHEAD AND POST.

Thanks, grandpaw

grandpaw7

Oops, that title should be with "unshown date" rather than "unshoown name".

BTW, I don't understand the constant references I see to the "oldest five". It looks to me like the five listed are the most recent five, that is, the youngest. ???

grandpaw

Grandpaw, when did you make the change in MaxBackupCopies to 15 ?

If you just did it, then Windows has not had time to create additional backups, you will still only have the 5 most recent.

The problem with having Max.... more than 5 is not that it won't display the oldest or earliest backups in that window, but that it won't display the most recent.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q182/8/41.ASP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.