1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Safe Is Netscape 8.0.2?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Michael9009, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michael9009

Michael9009 Thread Starter

I have always used Netscape. I currently have Netscape Canada v. 8.0.2 - based on Firefox installed on my computer (running Windows XP Professional). This is what is listed under Help -> About Netscape Canada Browser:

version 8.0.2 - based on Firefox

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-CA; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050610 Netscape/8.0.2

How safe is this browser compared to IE, Opera or other available browsers, from a security point of view? Which one would recommend?

Thank you very much.

Michael

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

G'day Michael. (thats my name too lol :rolleyes: )

Anyway... I would prolly recommend IE 6.0 SP2, because it has a POP-UP blocker. I have used all the browsers :

1. Netscape
    2. MSN Explorer.
    3. AOL Explorer.
    4. Firefox
    5. Internet Explorer (my current one)
    6. Opera
    7. And a few more (including Maxthon)

and i recommend IE because of the way its built. Netscape etc are ok, but i would still recommend IE because:

1. Whats the point of getting another browser when you get one with Windows anyway??
    2. More secure
    3. Netscape is pratically based on IE anyway, and some of the browsers require IE to run.
    4. Other browsers are just a "fancy" UI that make em look good. Yes i know IE looks like crap, but IE7 doesnt!

HTH.

3. Michael9009

Really, Michael? You think IE is the best?...

I am somewhat surprised because I believe I read recently that one should use a Firefox or Mozilla-based browser for increased security. In addition, my understanding was that, because of the popularity of the IE, it is also most targeted by hackers, spyware, malware, etc.

I hope other experts would share their thoughts... Thank you.

Michael

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

No worries. I believe that the latest updates from Microsoft and good firewalls and AV will keep IE secure.

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

In my experience, IE runs noticeably slower than my Mozilla 1.7.12 (not Firefox). It has a pop-up blocker (optional).
    {redoak}

6. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Really? Believe it or not Firefox runs slower on my machine than IE lol :rolleyes:

7. hewee

hewee

8. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Great site...

9. hewee

hewee

Yes it is. Eric Howes has lots of other really good sites too.

10. Michael9009

This is what is written here: http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm

3. Use an alternative browser

Internet Explorer is not only the most popular browser on the Net, it is also the browser most widely and easily exploited by spyware pushers to install spyware and adware behind users' backs. Thus, you might decide that Internet Explorer is simply not worth the hassle or risk. In that case, you can install and run an alternative, non-IE browser such as:

Mozilla
    Firefox
    Opera

All three of these browsers are mature, robust, and fast. Moreover, they have built-in pop-up blocking and several other nice features that Internet Explorer simply lacks. More importantly, all three of these browsers are much less susceptible to unwanted adware and spyware installations. And all three are free.

Note: even if you do switch to an alternative browser, you should still lock down Internet Explorer, as described above. Given that Internet Explorer has effectively been integrated into Windows, it can still be exploited by adware and spyware that gets installed to your system through other means. Thus, locking down Internet Explorer remains important even if you're not regularly using Internet Explorer to browse the internet.

But is my version of netscape indeed based on Firefox and Mozilla?

Thank you.

11. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Netscape is mostly based Mozilla.

12. redoak

I believe it is the other way around. The Mozilla organization was created by folks previously associated with Netscape is my understanding.

Furthermore, we should be careful to distinguish between the "Mozilla Suite" and the Mozilla organization's creation "Firefox." The "Mozilla Suite" has now been upgraded to "Seamonkey." Where that moniker came from I do not know. I continue to use Mozilla 1.7.12, since it works fine, and I have not had any intruders in the 2-3 years of use. "Seamonkey" is supposed to be more secure.

{redoak}

13. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Ahh yes... i must have been lookin in a mirror when i posted that.

14. Michael9009

Ok, thank you everyone.

Now, to make a story (i.e thread) short, I would need to reach a conclusion and, to that extent, I would appreciate answesr to the following two questions, only from a SECURITY point of view:

1. From the information I listed in my FIRST post in this thread, is the Netscape version I use (8.0.2) similar to Firefox, Mozilla, or none?

2. Among Netscape 8, Firefox, Mozilla (or Seamonkey) and IE, which one woud be better suited, also from a security ponit of view?

I need to decide on a browser for both myself and my uncle (who became infected while using IE) and I need your valuable help.

Thank you.

Michael

15. redoak

"M": I have had no experience with any browsers but IE and my Mozilla 1.7.12. I only know that IE has been plagued with security problems, whereas M has not, to my knowledge and experience.

Recently on another Thread reference was made to the following site as highly regarded for supplying extensive info re security issues. Perhaps there is something there pertaining to browsers. It would be worth a look. I wish you success in your search for comparative info.
    See: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/main-nf.htm

{redoak}

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!