1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How ? Save/archive emails before closing account

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by redsquirrel3, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redsquirrel3

redsquirrel3 Thread Starter

Hello.

I have just changed from a PC to a Mac. I would like to close my Hotmail account as I rarely use it now.

Is it possible to save/archive some of the emails for future use (eg. legal stuff that may be needed one day), maybe in the cloud, before I close the Hotmail account. I have been through the account and deleted all that I do not use.

Your advice would be great.

Thank you.

Jenifer

2. mpeet611

mpeet611

You could forward the emails you still want to another email address that you still use or print them out & store them someplace safe.

3. redsquirrel3

Hello, thanks for swift reply.

Thanks for sift reply.

I have no printer. Can I send them all together to another mail account, or do I have to open each one and
    then send it? This would take forever.

Thanks.

Jenifer

4. mpeet611

mpeet611

You would have to send them to your other mail account one at a time. Sorry.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can setup an email client with IMAP or ActiveSync and download all the emails to that email client and have them there. If it's just the Inbox you want then setting it up as a POP account would work too. Once in the email client you should be able to backup up the whole thing for safe keeping or export them to a file. You want(need) to backup or export them so that if something happens to the account, for example if you close your account, that the emails don't disappear.

Not sure what you have on your Mac for email, the stock Apple Mail program might work for this, or Outlook if you purchased that, or you could also use Thunderbird.

If you want the email in a new email account, setup both in the email client and then drag and drop the emails from the one account into the other.

6. redsquirrel3

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I am no comp expert, and am not sure I understand. I have looked at the sync on the internet and it appears to be just for Windows, and I only have the Mac (Mavericks). I use the Mac Mail. It is 4 (long) files in the Hotmail inbox I want to save. I have no idea how to sort IMAP. Reading online, it sounds very complicated.

Thanks.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. mpeet611

mpeet611

Triple6 did you not read in her post she wants to use the mac's built in email program, not outlook which is what the link you posted is for.

These links will help you setup your hotmail on your mac. The first site will give you all the settings you need & it tells you how to enable POP3/IMAP access from the hotmail site so the account will work in your email program. The second link will help you do the setup in your mac email program.

http://www.betterhostreview.com/hotmail-pop-imap-smtp-settings.html

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204093

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually the link I posted is for Outlook.com AKA Hotmail.com and it covers how to setup IMAP and POP accounts in various programs as well as the generic settings to use with other programs.

10. mpeet611

mpeet611

Oh Ok. :) I should have taken a better look at the site.

11. redsquirrel3

Hello again,

Thank you all responding to my query. I have tried to sync the Hotmail account with Apple, but Mail kept saying it could not find it, and flashing up every five minutes. I had to delete it. So I am moving the important stuff each day to my i.cloud account. Then I can delete Hotmail at last.

Thanks again guys.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice